Body Weight Influence on Speed

Moderator: George Payan

tarik529

Post by tarik529 »

Coach,

I have a question about the influence of body weight on the sprint events. Is there a relationship between losing weight and improving personal times on the track?

I weigh about 82 kgs. In the competition period my weight will decrease to about 75 kgs. My height is 175 cm, so for the first case my IMC is 26.8 and I am overweight. For the second my IMC is 24.5 where I am normal weight. I have run the 400m in 52.9 and the 200m in 23.8.

What is an ideal IMC or body weight for my height to run the 400m and 200m in times near 50 for the first and 22 for the second.

Sincerely,
Tarik from Algeria
George Payan

Post by George Payan »

Tarik:

No, there is not always a relationship between losing weight and improving personal times on the track. An athlete could have a faster time and weigh more and, on the other hand, an athlete could weigh less and run slower.

There is no ideal body weight for your height due to other variables. One variable that should be considered is growth. Weight loss can improve speed, regardless of height, if the weight loss is in balance with other components that make a good sprinter.

When I begin conditioning athletes and make an assessment of these athletes, there are a variety of weights and sizes and some athletes are overweight. At the end of the season, these overweight athletes have lost a lot of weight because they are consistent and committed to training. The more overweight they are, the more weight they lose, if this weight is fat and not muscle. The goal after the season is to maintain the body weight and not fall back into poor habits with diet and lack of activity so that when the next season begins, it will not take as long to make progress. It is the poor lifestyle habits that make it difficult to improve personal marks.

The index you refer to is for the average population and it does not pertain to the athlete where the index would vary. In addition, if you include strength training in workouts, you will gain more muscle mass. Since muscle weighs more than fat, you could even weigh more during the competition period. For example, a small framed athlete might look the same in appearance, however, they will weigh more due to muscle mass and could continue to gain weight over time with improvements in personal times.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
JP

Post by JP »

Yes, there's an athlete in my state who is 6'6" and 155-160 pounds who ran a 10.55 FAT time in the 100. It's amazing. And if you look at the pros, Ato Bolden is Huge and can run a sub 10, and Kim Collins is a twig and he's the world champ right now...