Volume of Training for Middle School Athletes

Moderator: George Payan

Captdav1

Post by Captdav1 »

I have a daughter who competed in the 1600m last year at the 7th grade level and ran a PR of 6:10 in the event. This year she would like to break the 6 min. barrier during the upcoming track season.

I am curious as to the volume of training recommended for a 13 year old in order to accomplish the goal given her young age. Last year her long runs weekly consisted of a maximum of 5 miles once per week with little emphasis placed on speed work or tempo runs.

Suggestions for a workout schedule would be appreciated.
George Payan

Post by George Payan »

The percent of aerobic and anaerobic energies required to run the 1500 meter runs is 35% aerobic and 65% anaerobic. If the athlete runs 800 meters it is 45% aerobic and 55% anaerobic.

The recommendation is 7 miles aerobic (35% of 20 miles) and 13 miles anaerobic (65% of 20 miles). If you want to increase the volume, use the same percentages.

Volume training throughout the year is necessary but the interrelationship between volume and intensity must also be considered.

Training Volume / Miles Per Week:

Grade School, 20 miles per week
Junior High School, 30 miles per week
10th Grade, 30 miles per week

Start with 100% aerobic to equal 20 miles per week during the preparation period. This period utilizes gradual increases in aerobic running. The long run should be 20-25% of the 20 miles.

The preparation period is divided into two phases. The first phase is general preparation and is 100% aerobic. The second phase is specific preparation and incorporates the gradual introduction of anaerobic.

During the second phase of the preparation period introduce 200, 400 and 800 meter training at race pace. During the competition period run 200's 2 seconds faster than race pace, 400's run 90 to 95% of your best 400 and 800's run 2-4 seconds faster than race pace.

Gradually introduce this program into the training.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
Last edited by George Payan on Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wardwillow2

Endurance for Youth

Post by wardwillow2 »

I am surprised by the volume of training recommended particularly for young girls to achieve a fairly "achievable" level. I have two 13 year old girls in my group, both running 7 minutes 30 seconds for 2000 meters and their training is about 10k a week maximum with only one anaerobic/aerobic threshold session per week.

Should I gradually increase their mileage to 20 miles?
George Payan

Increasing Mileage

Post by George Payan »

The standard for youth age females is 20 miles. As they progress from youth age to high school the standard will change and as they progress from high school to college the standard will change. There is a point in youth age where this progression should start. The goal is to maintain 20 miles (35K) per week.

First is basic training which is building up the mileage. Since your athletes are running six miles per week, they need to run 2 miles (3K) for three to four weeks, five days a week. These runs are easy runs and all continuous runs are easy runs. If you are not meeting five days a week, they will have to run on their own to meet this goal.

The next three to four weeks, increase the mileage to three miles (5K), five days a week. Now add 5 to 6 strides three to four days per week. Strides are 100 to 150 meters or 20-30 second strides. Take a one minute rest between strides.

The next three to four weeks, increase the mileage to four miles (7K), five days a week. At this point, add one long run a week, 5 miles (9K). Run strides two days a week. Also add repetition workouts two days a week.

A sample workout:
Run 5K
8x200's

Another day:
Run 5K
4x400's

The following workout is for every-other week:
Run 5K
2x800's

Another day:
Run 5K
2x1000's

Continue to run strides two days a week after an easy run.

Maintain the long run. Run 8 to 10 strides two days a week after the run. One day a week run intervals. Choose 2x1000's, 1x1200 + 1x400 or one mile (1600 meters). These are hard runs with 5 to 6 minute rest intervals. Another workout is 4x400's at race pace or 8x200's at race pace. From this point to the Championships, select a few workouts that you will maintain as staple workouts each time you do quality training.

When it is about 6 weeks away from the Championships, start to cut back on the mileage but maintain the quality workouts in #4 above.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
wardwillow2

greenfortythree

Post by wardwillow2 »

I have started the increased training for all my girls and boys (15 in all)
and although they only started on January 2 the results at last Sunday's
cross country were very encouraging, they all looked stronger than usual at the finish and most of them were quicker. I will advise on the continued
progress.