Setting Up a Season of Training

Moderator: George Payan

MileChampion

Setting Up a Season of Training

Post by MileChampion »

Coach:

I am trying to get under 4:15 for the mile and want to train like Alan Webb. I already have a good base behind me, (1,400 miles in about 13 weeks), and now I want to focus on speed for track. Here is what I have planned for my first week back from footlocker regionals:

Week 1

Mon- (AM) 10 mile bike ride (PM) .5 mile warm-up, form/hurdle drills, 15 minutes stretch, 5 mile run(on trail), plyometrics, upper body weights, medicine ball, balancing drills, .5 mile cool-down, 40 minutes stretching.

Tues- (AM) 1 mile swim (PM) .5 mile warm-up, form/hurdle drills, 15 minutes stretching, 5 mile run(on road), 2x80m strides in spikes, lower body weights, medicine ball, balancing drills, .5 mile cool-down, 40 minutes stretching.

Wed- (AM) 10 mile bike ride (PM) .5 mile warm-up, form/hurdle drills, 15 minutes stretch, 5 mile run(on trail), plyometrics, upper body weights, medicine ball, balancing drills, .5 mile cool-down, 40 minutes stretching.

Thurs- (AM) 1 mile swim (PM) .5 mile warm-up, form/hurdle drills, 15 minutes stretching, 5 mile run(on road), 3x80m strides in spikes, lower body weights, .5 mile cool-down, 40 minutes stretching.

Fri- (AM) 10 mile bike ride (PM) .5 mile warm-up, form/hurdle drills, 15 minutes stretch, 4 mile run(on track), plyometrics, upper body weights, medicine ball, balancing drills, .5 mile cool-down, 40 minutes stretching.

Sat- (AM) .5 mile warm-up, form drills, 6 mile run(1mi. on road, 5mi. on trail), 4x80m strides in spikes, .5 mile cool-down (PM) 1 hour bike ride.

Sun- (AM) 20 mile bike ride, 30 min. stretch (PM) 2 mile swim, 30 min. stretch.

TOTAL MILEAGE- 30 miles
TOTAL SWIM- 4 miles
TOTAL BIKE- 60 miles
ROAD RUNNING- 40% OF WEEKLY MILEAGE
TRAIL RUNNING- 50% OF WEEKLY MILEAGE
TRACK RUNNING- 10% OF WEEKLY MILEAGE

This is just the first week. I plan to build up my mileage as follows: 30,35,40,45,40,45,50,55,60,55,60,65,60,65,70,70,65, etc.

Here is where I need some help. 1) How good is this plan? 2) Am I going to lose endurance that I had when I ran 110 mpw? 3) What plyometrics are best for mile speed? 4) What are the best upper and lower body weight lifting exercises? 5) Will the biking hurt my running? 6) What are all the form/hurdle drills?

Basically I need good plyometric drills for the mile;
Good upper and lower body weight lifting lifts;
Detailed description of all the best form and hurdle drills.

I will also be incorporating tempos, fartleks and intervals into the training and I know what to do runningwise. It's just the other that I need help with.

Thank you. :D
George Payan

Training for the Mile

Post by George Payan »

In high school I ran 4:17 with a lot of speed training. During the off-season and between cross country and track I did long runs with minimal cross training activities. My high school coach followed the percentages recommended in the paragraph that follows, with the exception of giving me more speed workouts. Your workouts should be preparing you for racing.

The percent of aerobic and anaerobic energies required to run the mile is 35% aerobic and 65% anaerobic. If you run 800 meters it is 45% aerobic and 55% anaerobic. You will probably be running the 800 meters in competition.

The recommendation is 35% aerobic and 65% anaerobic. Gradually you should build up to this goal. This is the energy system you will need to run the mile.

Volume training throughout the year is necessary but the interrelationship between volume and intensity must also be considered. After I started speed training I was too tired to get up in the mornings for the long runs.
At a certain point in your training you will have to make adjustments. This includes all your other cross training activities. This is a point you will reach in which all this cross training will not help you. Also include the proper rest for recovery.

You will not lose your endurance because on the preparation period you should be concentrating on endurance which is what you are doing. In the next phase, start incorporating speed training.

The recommend volume of training per week is:

11th grade, 45 miles per week
12th grade, 50 miles per week
Post high school, 1st year, 70 miles per week

If you have met these minimum requirements, you will meet your goal in the mile.

Start with 100% aerobic as you have done. As a miler, your long run during the preparation period should be 9 to 10 miles a week.

Plyometrics can be applied two to three days a week before your workout or speed workout.

Guidelines to follow with plyometrics:

Exercises should be performed at 100% effort.

The greater the intensity, the greater the recovery.

Maintain proper technique and when your technique breaks down, stop.

Start easy and increase complexity.

Plyometrics are practiced three times per week during the preparation period and twice a week during the competition period.

Practice volume during the preparation period and intensity during the competition period.

Always apply the principle of progression when increases in overload are being added to a program. Progress until technique breaks down.

An example of a plyometric workout three times a week:

Six cones or hurdles three feet apart and at least 12" high to jump over.
Start at 12" for one week.
Three sets of six, double leg jumps.
Three sets of six, right leg jumps.
Three sets of six, left leg jumps.
Without cones, bound ten times alternating legs, bound for distance.

The second week, do the same except do four sets.

The third week, do the same except do five sets.

The fourth week, go back to three sets and increase the distance between the cones to four feet apart.

In the fifth and sixth weeks, increase the sets to four and five.

On the seventh week increase the distance between the cones to five feet and return to three sets for the first week and increase the sets each week.

On the tenth week increase the height of the cones and start over with three sets.

NOTE: Increase the height in small increments. Don't be in a hurry to increase height. Keep working on the overload principle. It will seem too easy at first but the purpose is to not thrash your legs before your workout session. Be patient with this program. The plyometrics will strengthen your legs so that your legs will be equally strong. When you run, you will be able to push off with force, your stride length will increase and your marks will improve. You will see the difference in your strength in your legs and your finish.

A sample workout with strength training:

Warm-up
Plyometrics
Workout/Speed Workout
Strength Training

In the web site under the Coaching section, there is a strength training program with exercises. The article is entitled "Strength Training Workouts for Runners" and the link is as follows:

http://www.coacheseducation.com/coachin ... pt_02.html

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com