Weight Training Session

Moderator: George Payan

tarik529

Weight Training Session

Post by tarik529 »

Coach,

When should I schedule weight training? Should I weight train separately or should I include weight training with track training in the same day? I train every day.

Is it recommended to weight train after or before track training in the same day? Is the order important? Many trainers talk about a certain transference between weight training and track training. Can you tell me more about the meaning of this?

Finally, how often should I weight train per week?

Tarik
George Payan

Scheduling Weight Training

Post by George Payan »

Research and findings of noted experts with many years of coaching experience believe that exercises aimed at developing strength or power should be placed after movements designed to enhance technique or develop speed. Therefore, it is recommended that you weight train after your speed workout.

Below are some options in which weight training is planned with other activities. In these examples, weight training is considered as the secondary objective of the training session:

Days without weight training:

Warm-up
Drills
Speed workout

Days with weight training:

Warm-up
Drills
Speed workout
Weight training

Another option in the same day:

A.M.
Warm-up
Drills
Speed workout

P.M.
Weight training

Another option in the same day:

Early P.M.
Warm-up
Drills
Speed workout

Late P.M.
Weight training

Train three to four days a week during the preparation period and two days a week during the competition period. In the web site under the Coaching section, there is a strength training program with exercises. The article is entitled "Strength Training Workouts for Runners" and the link is as follows:

http://www.coacheseducation.com/coachin ... pt_02.html

If you work all the muscles in the body it will put you in balance strength-wise.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com