Overspeed Training

Moderator: George Payan

JP

Overspeed Training

Post by JP »

I would like to know your opinion on overspeed training. Various websites I have seen and various coaches I have talked with have had both good things and bad things to say about overspeed. Some say its icing on the cake and gives all the training you have done that extra advantage, while others state that overspeed teaches improper sprinting mechanics. What are your thoughts on overspeed training?
George Payan

Overspeed Training

Post by George Payan »

The theory behind overspeed training is that is helps you run faster when you run unassisted. Overspeed training moves you faster than your normal speed, more of your muscles and nerves become involved in your sprint motion. Your body will learn how to move at a much faster rate.

The best way to improve speed is do strength exercises that will enhance the specific strength of the sprint cycle, get more flexible and work on various technical aspects of the race. I believe that these are the foundations and priorities that should be worked on first to improve speed.

To benefit from overspeed training, you should work three days per week, 20 to 30 minutes per session, continued throughout the training season. Regular work at short overspeed bursts will produce the greatest gains. Can you build your basic training around this? Only you know what you can do.

Overspeed training is a matter of priority. If you can fit it in, it would be additional training for the athlete. Start with first things first, which is to build a solid foundation of basic training. This includes strength, flexibility, speed, coordination, balance and proper endurance.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com