The Mile & 5K Training for Nationals

Moderator: George Payan

The Mile & 5K Training for Nationals

Post by Guest »

I am a female cross country and distance track runner. My times are 21:30 for the 5k, 5:40 for the mile, and 12:30 for the 2 mile. I am interested in getting my times down. I would like to go to Nationals next year in cross country and run at least a 5:10 for the mile.

Can you advise what I should be doing off season to reach my goals and on staying mentally strong and concentrated when it comes to race time.

Thanks,
eherren35
George Payan

The Mile and 5K Training for Nationals

Post by George Payan »

Your goal during track season is to run the fastest mile that you can run. The reason is because their is a relationship between the mile and the 5K. The faster you run the mile, the faster you will lower your average mile pace in the 5K. The mile and 2 mile times are relative. The cross country time is not in relation to the other times. Work on endurance and vary the endurance workouts with different terrains.

For off-season training run 4 miles a day in December. In January add 1 mile and run 5 miles a day. Add 1 mile each month to reach 7 miles per day. Continue to run 7 miles every month thereafter. This schedule will apply the overload principle and it will improve running efficiency and average mile pace.

If possible, run 1 long run per week. The long run should be 8-9 miles. If you can’t run 9 miles, run 8 miles. The purpose of this run is depletion which will increase glycogen level to a higher level than before the long run. The result is more endurance.

Run timed fartleks for speed work. Run at different speeds with 3 rotations. Allow enough days to recover before the next fartlek workout. Include days off.

Use the 5:40 time for the mile pace. One day, run 2 minutes at a race pace, 6-8 repetitions with a 4-minute recovery. Another day, run 1 minute at race pace, 10 repetitions with 5-7 minutes recovery. Another day, run 40 seconds at mile speed, 16 repetitions and repeat when recovered. Allow plenty of days to recover before doing another fartlek workout. When the 3 rotations are completed, repeat again and again.

Including strength training, circuit training and plyometrics in workouts will give additional benefits. This information is in the Track & Field Forum section of the web site under the Coaches Forum.

Consistency and hard work in training will build confidence and make you mentally strong. Focus on goals and objectives every day.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com