400 Meter Dash

Moderator: George Payan

turborunner

400 Meter Dash

Post by turborunner »

I am a sophomore girl in high school and run cross country and track and field. My main event is the 400 meter dash and my time last year as a freshman was 63. at Mt. Sac in the 4x4 relay in the CIF prelims. I want to be faster this year and get 60 sec or lower in my time. I do not use blocks but I am learning. My question is what should I be doing to start conditioning and training for the upcoming track season? ie: daily workouts? Thank you. :D
George Payan

400 Meter Dash

Post by George Payan »

If you are focusing on sprints, especially the 400 meters, concentrate on sprint workouts. Since you have a cross country background, do not run middle distance workouts because your 400 meter times will suffer. The 400 meters is a long sprint so focus on 400 meter workouts.

Compete in the 100 meters and the 200 meters and try to earn a spot on the 4x100 as well as the 4x400. This will prepare you for your goal.
Anything longer in workouts such as middle distance will not prepare your energy system.

The link below is an article from the web site with daily workouts for conditioning and training:

http://www.coacheseducation.com/sprints ... apr_02.htm

This article is under the Sprints button from the home page and is entitled "A General Workout For Sprinters".

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com