5k Training

Moderator: George Payan

Bern

5k Training

Post by Bern »

Coach,

I am 39 y/o, h: 6' 1", w:190

I just ran an 18:30 5k race after 6 weeks of 30-50 miles per week with some fartlek. I would like to break 18:00 by late January.

1. Will losing weight (hopefully getting under 180) help?
2. Will increasing mileage to 60-65 mpw help?
3. What do you recommend as far as speedwork goes?

Thanks,
B
George Payan

5K Training

Post by George Payan »

Losing weight is not a concern right now. By the end of January, your goal race, you will lose weight if you are consistent with training. Another reason weight is not always an issue is because muscle mass could cause an athlete to weigh more. The proper diet will also influence your weight.
You have been running approximately 4 to 7 miles per day. Continue to run 4 miles a day for the next 2 weeks. The next 2 weeks and every 2 weeks thereafter, add 1 mile per day. By the end of January you will be at 8 miles per day. This schedule will apply the overload principle.

If possible, run 1 long run per week. The long run should be a 12-mile run. If you can’t run a 12-mile run, run a 10- mile or 8 mile. The purpose of this run is depletion. When you eat after the long run, your glycogen level is increased to a higher level than before the long run. The result is more endurance.

Continue with your fartlek workouts for speed work. Run at different speeds and rotate the different speeds. Allow enough days to recover before the next fartlek workout. This includes days off. The different speeds are 5 minutes at race pace, recover 3-5 minutes and repeat at least 4 times. Use your last race for race pace. On another day, run 2 minutes at a 2-mile pace (faster than race pace), 6-8 repetitions with a 2-minute recovery. Another day, run 1 minute at 90-95% of your all-out speed, 4-5 repetitions and 5-7 minutes recovery. Another day, run 40 seconds at mile speed, 16 repetitions and repeat when you are recovered. Give yourself plenty of days to recover between fartleks.
When you have completed the 4 rotations, start over again and again.

Let us know progress on this forum.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com