Running in Altitude

Moderator: George Payan

Coach John

Running in Altitude

Post by Coach John »

We live about as close to sea level as you can get. Potentially, my more elite athletes may run at a meet at high altitude (7000ft) in about a month. What are some pointers for getting them ready for this drastic change in altitude? I presume more anaerobic and strength conditioning, but would like some more advice.

Respectfully,

Coach John
George Payan

Running at Altitude

Post by George Payan »

Coach Joe Vigil, Ph.D., an expert in altitude physiology, says that in going from sea level to altitude, individuals are exposed to a progressive reduction in barometric pressure that could cause some issues in individuals. As a coach, you should be prepared and make your athletes aware of possible difficulties they might encounter such as nose bleeds, headaches, the need for additional recovery time and sleep disturbances.

The athlete should be in the best possible condition before arrival at altitude. If possible, train at least one week at altitude before competition or arrive and train as many days as possible before competition. The more days you prepare at altitude, the better the results. On your first day of training at altitude, train light and easy.

The following percentages are recommendations for training emphasis according to racing distance. You don’t have to do anything different for the upcoming race at altitude while at sea level.

If you are training for the 5K, train 10% speed, 70% aerobic endurance, which is general endurance, and 20% of anaerobic endurance, which is speed endurance or specific endurance. This is the energy system required for this race. Train for the race you are running. For a 3K, train 20% speed, 40% aerobic endurance and 40% anaerobic endurance. The total miles in one week of training equal 100%. Then break down the percentages in training depending on your race.

Compare the extent to which the 02 requirement for each race is met aerobically (with 02) and/or anaerobically (without 02) to decide what percentage of speed, aerobic running and anaerobic running to use for the most efficient training.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
Coach John

Post by Coach John »

Ok, Coach Payan, I was with you until the last paragraph. Can you elaborate on that in comparison with the % breakdown given in the paragraph just preceding it?

Thanks
George Payan

Training Emphasis According To Racing Distance

Post by George Payan »

Since I do not know what race you are training for, I was saying to compute the percentages for training depending on the race distance. From the marathon race to the 100 meter race, the percentages for training differ. You wouldn't train for a 100 meter race like you would a 5K. You wouldn't get the desired results.

The percentages given were recommendations using the 5K and 3K races. When you train an individual/team, know the energy requirement breakdown for the race you are training and train accordingly.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
Coach John

Post by Coach John »

OK, now I see.

Thanks for the information.

This is a nice avenue to exchange information.