Not sure what to do!

Moderator: George Payan

jemjr67

Not sure what to do!

Post by jemjr67 »

I am new to this forum along with being new to cross country and track & field. My son is a freshman at St. John Bosco in Bellflower, California. He made the freshman soccer team and is now training with the athletes in the soccer program.

My dilemma is this. He has always been a strong runner and is now putting some distance between himself and the other runners. When I ask how he is feeling after the run he says he feels he can run a faster time in the mile. Does anyone have any drills or suggestions on pacing oneself? Also, it is being suggested that he run cross country and track & field next year. I know nothing about preparing for either. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you,
jemjr67
George Payan

Concentrate On One Sport At A Time

Post by George Payan »

Don't be concerned with drills or pacing while you are playing soccer. Just be concerned with the drills for the sport in which you are participating. Concentrate on one sport at a time. Don't worry about any other drills or pacing until the soccer season is over. When soccer season is over you will have to make a decision. Either continue to play soccer or participate in another sport. You should not play two sports at the same time because you can't excel in two sports at the same time. One concern is a high risk of injury with the demands of two sports and another concern is fatigue.

If you decide to participate in cross country and track & field, focus on the sport when the time comes. The bottom line is to participate in one sport at a time. I have personally seen athletes run cross country and play soccer at the same time and they simply cannot keep up with the demands of workouts and competition.

Decide what you want to prepare for and we can assist you.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
Erich Moreno

Post by Erich Moreno »

The track and cross country program will take very good care of him. The cross country team just recently won their respective division in CIf for cross country. The quarter mile program has proven themselves time and time again. Coach Mac has a program that has proven itself over and over again. Your son can only benefit by being the track program.