Weight Factor

Moderator: George Payan

east coast t-jumper

Weight Factor

Post by east coast t-jumper »

I am a 25 year old triple jumper who has not jumped in 5-6 years. I am 6'1" and 215 pounds. I have been training for four months plyometrics and technique work with no weight training or speed work. I can jump 49 feet from a 90 foot approach.

How much will my jump improve if I lose 25 to 35 pounds and what weight do you suggest I jump at? What are some cardio training workouts to help me lose weight? I am trying to make Olympic trials in the Spring.
George Payan

Post by George Payan »

If your goal is the Olympic trials then you should be working on qualifying. You should be focusing on maximum speed with muscular strength and a technique that distributes your effort most efficiently.

In the past, many high level sprint/jump programs incorporated aerobic workouts during the general preparation phase. Research suggests that aerobic training can have detrimental effects on anaerobic energy production, maximum strength and speed-power performance. Interval training with appropriate work-to-rest ratios can improve the use of the energy system.

There is not always a relationship between losing weight and improving personal marks. An athlete could have a better jump and weigh more and, on the other hand, an athlete could weigh less and jump less.
There is no ideal body weight due to other variables. Weight loss can improve jumping if the weight loss is in balance with other components that make a good jumper.

There are a variety of weights and sizes of athletes and some athletes are overweight. At the end of the season, the overweight athletes lost a lot of weight because they are consistent and committed to training. The more overweight they are, the more weight they lose, if the weight is fat and not muscle.

If you are jumping 49 feet, this is 3 feet short of breaking the boys' high school National record, 6 feet from the American record and 11 feet from the World record. You are talented and with the proper training and commitment the possibilities are endless.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com