Sprint Information

Moderator: George Payan

k_weis

Sprint Information

Post by k_weis »

Are there drills and workouts so I can run the 100m? Do I need strength training? I have never participated in track. Any advice would be helpful.
George Payan

Sprint Information

Post by George Payan »

There is a plan to running the 100 meters and in the plan there are segments and phases you should work on:

Reaction
This segment commences when the gun is fired and ends upon the first movement.

Drive
The early part of acceleration and includes clearance from the starting blocks and several strides out of the blocks.

Transition
Part of acceleration and occurs when the athlete comes out of the drive phase and is working toward achieving a taller posture in preparation for maximum speed running.

Maximum Speed
Where the athlete will exhibit the highest running speed. Usually at about 4-6 seconds into the race and is maintained from 10-30 meters.

Speed Maintenance
Characterized by great relaxation and patience to maintain top running speed for as long as possible.

Sprint drills:

· Walking on toes – two times over 30 meters
· Walking on heels – two times over 30 meters
· Butt kicks – two times over 20 meters
· Skips – two times over 30 meters
· Side strides crossover – two times over 30 meters
· Skip and clap – two times over 30 meters
· Skip claw – two times over 30 meters
· Skip for height – two times over 30 meters
· High keens – two times over 10 meters

Plyometrics:

· Double leg bounding
· Single leg bounding – right leg
· Single leg bounding – left leg
· Depth box jumps
· Hurdle jumps – double footed jumps over hurdle

Plyometrics can be done on lifting days.

The segments and phases cannot be done in one workout. Rotate them. Start with three speed training sessions per week, i.e.: Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Give time to recuperate in between the speed sessions. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday focus on lifting.

On the speed day sessions, work on accelerations at the end of the warm up and start with 10 meters the first week, 15 meters the next week, and 20 meters the following week. Keep adding five meters each week. The goal is 10 accelerations prior to the speed workout.

On the lifting day sessions, work on hip, leg strength and power are crucial for sprinters. Squats are to improve overall hip and leg strength, one-legged squats help in single leg drive, push presses improve overall explosiveness, and abdominal training improves trunk strength and stability.

Begin with a light load to prepare for harder training. Use the proper work to rest ratio to tax the appropriate energy system for the event. Increase the load throughout the phase. Allow an unload week at the end of the phase for recovery.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com