Compression Shorts

Moderator: George Payan

jemjr67

Compression Shorts

Post by jemjr67 »

My son recently injured his groin area while attempting to kick a ball during a soccer match. He did not hit the ground with his foot. He says it felt as if something popped. The doctor said that the injury is not the groin but a ligament or tendon in the groin area. X-rays were negative in regards to any damage to the hip area. My son has pulled his hamstring in the past.

My question is " Would compression shorts help eliminate these injuries? If so, how tight should they be?" He is very careful to stretch out before any athletic activity. Could he be over-stretching? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jemjr67
Erich Moreno

Compression Shorts

Post by Erich Moreno »

Compression shorts act as a support for the included musculature. Another side effect is that the core temperature of the muscles increase because of the density of the short material. However it does restrict the range of motion. The compression short will not prevent injury. You must directly strengthen the injured area. Usually with direct muscle activation after therapy, of course, by taking the involved muscle groups through a short range of motion from 5-10 repetitions (hip adduction, for example, followed by hip abduction). Try doing light jogging in the shallow end of a pool. This helps reduce the stress on the body by reducing the impact on the joints by the buoyancy of the body.