Commitment and Focusing

Moderator: George Payan

Commitment and Focusing

Post by Guest »

I am a 17 year old junior. I just finished with winter track running the 400m and the 4x200. My coach wants me to run the 200m and 400m during spring track but I would rather run distance. I have agreed to do the 200m and 400m for spring track, but next year I want to go distance and I want to start training as soon as possible.

Is it a good idea to start doing distance workouts after spring track practice or should I wait until spring track is over? Also, on average I run about a 6 minute mile. I would like to bring that down to an average 5 minute mile before cross country season starts next year. Is there a workout schedule or something for me to do to run a 5 minute mile?

Thank you for the help.

Mike
George Payan

Commitment and Focusing

Post by George Payan »

If you made a commitment to concentrate on the 200m and 400m, train only to compete in the 200m, 400m and occasionally the 800m. Do not do anything else after track practice because you are training for the long sprint and any other training will interfere.

When track season is over, then you can make another commitment to train for cross country. Let us know and we will help you at that time.

Remember, you are a sprinter now.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com