Hurdle Speed

Moderator: George Payan

byanose

Hurdle Speed

Post by byanose »

I am a sophmore and want to know what kind of drills I should do to get my speed between the hurdles faster. I run a 8.1, 55HH. I would be grateful for any drills you could give me. Thank you.
Erich Moreno

Post by Erich Moreno »

A lot has to do with what non-hurdling drills you are doing. In other words, how much speed training are you doing and, more specifically, what distances are you running?

A significant amount of time is reduced by emphasizing running off the hurdles. Although I treat hurdling as an extended stride, do not spend too much time in the air. Once the trail leg has begun clearing the hurdle, get back to the ground generating forces again (sprinting to the next hurdle). Try doing hurdle runs at lower heights with every other hurdle (1, 3, 5, etc.).

Do this for two weeks and get back to me on your progress.

Erich Moreno
DBlust

300 hurdles

Post by DBlust »

One of my athletes runs the 300 Hurdles...he's running a high 39. He has the potential to be a State qualifier this year...although he is having trouble with control when he approaches the last 100 of the race (H 5 & 6) He brings so much speed to the last stretch of the race causing him to over rotate coming off the hurdle. Any ideas on how to help him correct this? Any other ideas about 300 hurdles will be wonderful!