Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 800m Training
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:23 pm 
I am an 800 runner looking to improve times this year. I am 18 years old and a senior in high school. In the past year I've dramatically improved my times. In cross country I went from an 18:53 PR to a 17:11 PR. I did about 2000 miles last year, and have been injury free. I handle high-intensity workouts pretty well.

Previous PR's:

~2:06 in 800
~56 in 400
~4:50 in 1600
~17:11 in 5k

Last year I wasn't serious about my training and did virtually no mileage coming into the season. This year I have been doing about 55 miles a week for the past half year coming into the season. Most of this has been at slow pace (hard to do intervals when the track is covered with snow and it's -10 degrees out.)

I feel that it is a realistic goal for me to break 2 minutes this year in the 800, and I realize that high volume won't get me there. I have incorporated weightlifting into my schedule, as well as core strength drills every day and plyometrics. I have virtually total control over what workouts I do and what events I run in (I usually do 3200m relay, 1600m, 800m, and either the 1600m relay or the 3200m). I am working towards early June when our state finals are held.

This is my current schedule:
Sunday: 5 mile threshold run (around 7 minute pace)
Monday: 12 mile long run
Tuesday: 4 mile PPM (5k race pace) or 400m or 600m intervals at 1:12 per 400
Wednesday: 3 mile threshold (7 minute pace) in the morning, 6 mile threshold (7 minute pace) at night
Thursday: 9 mile ppm (5k race pace) or same intervals as above in higher volume
Friday: same as Wednesday
Saturday: 6 mile easy run in morning, 6 mile easy run at night

This schedule is a hybrid of the Paavo training system. It's alright for cross country, but I realize I need something better if I want to break 2 minutes. Obviously I need to increase my speed while continuing to build on my aerobic system. Perhaps I need to turn Saturday into a hard workout day as well?

Any tips and advice you could give me would be very appreciated. Week long schedules to build off of would be a blessing!

Post subject: 800m Training
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:41 pm 

In March, run 7 miles per day and run one long run of 10 miles one day a week. In April and May, run 8 miles per day and one long run of 10 miles one day a week. Three weeks before the Championship race, run one long run every other week. At minimum, run one long run every two weeks.

Workouts for the remainder of March and two weeks in April:

Workout #1
16 x 100’s in 14 seconds

Workout #2
16 x 200’s in 29 seconds

Workout #3
12 x 200’s in 27 seconds

Workout #4
6 x 400’s in 60 seconds

Workout #5
4 x 400’s in 58 seconds

Workout #6
4 x 600’s in 1:35

Alternate speed and distance workouts with three sessions of speed work per week. Begin with workout #6, then workout #5, then #4, etc. When you complete workout #1, start over again with #6. It might take you two weeks to complete cycles #1 through #6 with three workouts each week. Weight train three days per week after speed work throughout the season.

When you compete, the day of the race is the same as one day of speed work. This means that if you have one meet you will have two sessions of speed work in that week. If you have two meets in one week, you will have one speed session of speed work in that week.

In March, the total miles per day should equal 7. When you are doing speed work and it the mileage is less than 7 miles, add mileage before the workout and mileage after the workout to equal 7 miles.

Workouts from mid-April through the season:

Workout #1
10 x 100’s in 13 seconds

Workout #2
12 x 200’s in 27 seconds

Workout #3
3 x 400’s in 57 seconds

Workout #4
3 x 600’s in 1:32 – 1:35

Follow the same format as above.

If you can run the 4 x 400 in competition, do so at each opportunity, even when you are tired. The purpose is to develop lactic acid tolerance.

At the start of the race, remember to go out with good speed. Try to run as even as you can throughout the race. Run the first 400 in 58 seconds and maintain pace. Do not set the pace. Let someone else do it and save your kick for the end of the race. Position yourself on the outside edge of the lead runner. Run the shortest distance. Do not run in the second or third lanes. As you prepare for the finish, it's guts and glory, mom, apple pie, the flag and all that you hold near and dear to your heart.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com

Post subject: Recovery Times
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:38 am 
What sort of recovery times (or distance) should I be shooting for between repeats? Or should I be looking to get my heart rate under a certain amount before repeating?

Also, what times should I be shooting for on my non-speed days? I know it might be splitting hairs, but there is a big difference between an "easy" run at 9 minute pace and an easy run at 7 minute pace.

Thank you very much for your help Coach Payan, you have a wonderful site. I will most definitely keep you posted on my progress.

Post subject: Recovery Times
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:17 pm 
Recovery times:

2 – 3 reps, up to 5 minutes rest
4 – 5 reps, up to 4 minutes rest
6 – 9 reps, up to 3 minutes rest
10 – 15 reps, up to 2 minutes rest
16 – 21 reps, up to 1-½ minutes

If you need more rest, take more time.

On non-speed days, do not compete with other athletes in workouts. Add 2 minutes to 2-½ minutes to your best mile time.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com

Post subject: Results
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:06 pm 
Did the first two workouts, was between 1:39-1:40 in the 600's and about 1:02-1:03 in the 400's. I ran the 600's by myself and both workouts were done at low, below freezing temperatures (mid 20's). These were done on a road (track is still not melted), but they were correct distances.

In both workouts I didn't feel like I was running very fast. I wasn't exceptionally tired in either workout, it just felt like I couldn't run much faster. I know some of that is the cold weather. I'm sure I would have been much closer to target times if it had been mid 50's and on the track.

Just thought I would post an update and ask if there is anything else I should be doing or what I may be doing wrong.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:33 pm 

Matt:

Thanks for the update. The times posted for the workouts are goal times. If you could run these times now, you would be running a sub two-minute half mile.

It will take a while for you to run the times posted. There is nothing else you should be doing. Be patient, but work toward these times. When you can run all the times in the workouts, then work at being consistent in running these times.

With regard to having goals, it's good to have something to work towards but don't limit yourself.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com

Post subject: Hurting
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:34 am 
The season is about halfway over, and so far I haven't been doing too well in the 800. My best time so far this year was a split for the 4x800 relay at the first meet of the year. I was anchoring, so it's about a second more running than the open 800.

My legs are sore every day, even though my training hasn't really become any harder. I haven't really had a day where my legs really felt "good" since our first meet. My fastest 400 meter split was also on that first meet day. Any suggestions on how to help my legs recover? I have 4 more meets, one this Saturday, Regionals next Thursday or Friday, Conference meet the Thursday after that and State on June 5th.

I would start to taper, but it still seems too far away to start tapering for State without losing some of my conditioning.

Post subject: Sore Legs
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:18 pm 

Refer to the topic "Athletes Complaining of Heavy Legs" in this track & field forum.

Start cutting back 10% each week of the total weekly mileage. This means cutting back on the total volume of miles but continue with the intensity in the interval workouts. If you are not recovering from the interval workout in 1 day, take 2 days to recover.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com