Resistance Training for Youth

Moderator: George Payan

Jacobs

Post by Jacobs »

I have a 10 year old that is interested in running in Houston, Texas. I saw your information on training. It is great information. I need to know what to do to increase strength. Are weights recommended or what is recommended for a 10 year old? Thanks.
George Payan

Post by George Payan »

William J. Kraemer, PhD. and Steven J. Fleck, PhD., authorities in resistance training, give the following basic guidelines for resistance exercise progression in young athletes:

7 years or younger
Introduce the child to basic exercises with little or no weight; keep volume low.

8-10 years
Gradually increase the number of exercises; practice exercise technique in all lifts; start gradual progressive loading of exercises; keep exercises simple.

11-13 years
Teach all basic exercise techniques; continue progressive loading of each exercise; emphasize exercise techniques; introduce more advanced exercises with resistance. (Some European countries start training at 12 years).

14-15 years
Progress to more advanced programs in resistance exercise; emphasize exercise techniques; increase volume.

16 years or older
Move the young athlete to entry-level adult programs after all background knowledge has been mastered and a basic level of training experience has been gained.

Research suggests that weight training can begin at age 12. A recent study on 7th graders' weight training has drawn preliminary conclusions that no interference of bone growth resulted from weight training. A noted orthopedic surgeon has no concerns as long as the athlete has good technique.

The recommended resistance-training program for youth is the use of body weight for resistance. Some examples are:

Push-ups, 3 x 10-20
Bent leg sit-ups, 3 x 15-30
Parallel squats, 3 x 10-20
Self-resistance arm curls, 10 contractions of 6 seconds duration
Toe raises, 3 x 20-30
Partner-resisted lateral arm raises, 10 contractions of 6 seconds duration
Lying back hyperextensions, 3 x 10-15

Youth should always be supervised at all times for proper technique. Without proper technique, they risk injury.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
Last edited by George Payan on Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mgoblue

Post by Mgoblue »

I agree with George. I am helping to design programs for middle school track right now and currently the kids are benefiting greatly, it seems, from body weight circuits, core/abdominal circuits, medicine ball core exercises, and explosive medicine ball throws. These types of exercises appear to be good lead-ups to later weight training programs.

Additionally, young athletes who typically lack any real work capacity can make incredible gains in athletic fitness from very little work. They can derive a lot from a little.