Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:38 am 

Many of my runners are complaining of tight glutes and hams after interval workouts. I want to either slow the pace or give longer rest in between. Which one will have a greater impact? Out of those runners, two are twins who said they have both dealt with tight glutes after the 200 for the last three years. Until I came this year they have only utilized dynamic stretching as a warm up and have not used stretching plans. They have not used interval workouts consistently in the past for lactic control and tolerance.

Also, they have chronic shin splints. I have been taught that when you have them, you have them. I have encouraged ice at night and stretching, (writing alphabet with foot, calf stretching and grabbing a towel laid out on floor with the toes). Do you have any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:26 pm 

Longer rest in between intervals will have a greater impact. If they have not conditioned with strength training, the iliotibial band syndrome could be the symptom of tight glutes. The following link will explain this condition in detail and will explain what to do about it: http://www.spinalhealth.net/inj-itb.html

Shin splints can be resolved with adequate rest, stretching and modifying the exercise routine. Shin splints are small tears in the leg muscles at their point of attachment to the shin, which result from overstressing the lower legs.

Coach Payan
www.coacheseducation.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:53 pm 
As a prevention to shin splints, I often have sprinters work on strengthening the tibial compartments (toe raises). Remember, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. Icing and stretching the area helps to alleviate the pain but you must strengthen the area so it can withstand the future pounding. As for the tight glutes, it sounds more like a lactate intolerance situation (booty lock). As your athletes improve on their conditioning they will have better lactate clearance from the muscular system. Basically their liver can metabolize the lactic acid more quickly, and as a result handle intervals at a higher intensity level.

As for dynamic stretching versus passive stretching, I have found that dynamic stretching is more beneficial for athletic performance as opposed to static stretching. Static stretching tends to stimulate the slower nervous system and tends to flatten out the motor neural response. Dynamic warm-ups have proven popular in Europe and in the pac-ten track programs as well as in the NFL. This is a topic for further discussion.