High Jump Training

Moderator: George Payan

HJ'er

High Jump Training

Post by HJ'er »

I have some concerns about my training over the past year.

In August of 2003 to October I ran alot of hills, long sprint repeats for a solid base. Then October-November 2003 I started doing light lifting with a ton of core work. November - January I continued the weights along with sprint repeats and light plyometrics.

Most of January I was plagued with shin splints and could not train as hard as I wanted to. The injury took me off the track, so I was in the pool and on the bike most of January into February. The only time I was ever on the track was when I practiced high jumping. Later in February I PR'd by 6 inches, 7'0", and figured the training payed off big time.

Then most of March I was in the weight room doing cleans, squats, hang cleans, jerks and the whole deal. I was unable to run/jump becuase of the nagging shin splints. Now that it is April, the shins are 95% and I have returned to some serious plyometrics and weight training. The only meet I have planned for the outdoor season is Junior Nationals in late June. Next week I will start doing some sprint repeats and gradually work in some higher intensified plyometrics, then work out of the weight training.

All of May I was thinking to practice high jumping again, with fresh shins and a much stronger body. This leaves me with 1.5 solid months of high jump technical work. I usually catch on quick when it comes to the technique. I want to peak by the end of June for this meet.

Does this sound like a solid program for the year? I was just concerned if I had the phases in the correct order. I want to jump as high as possible come June.

I appreciate your help. Thanks for your time.
George Payan

High Jump Training

Post by George Payan »

The preparation period should involve weight training to increase muscle mass and strength. Mass can be developed early in the training cycle and maintained through competition. This period may involve general exercises of squats and leg presses and isolation exercises for the gluteals, quadriceps, hamstrings and calves.

General Preparation Phase
August through December is conditioning in preparation of strength development.

Specific Preparation Phase
From January through mid-March work on strength development.
During this phase, heavier and more specific weight training can be initiated to emphasize maximal strength. This is a base for more explosive type of weight training and plyometrics training. Exercises like the front and back squat and leg press are appropriate.

Prior to the competition phase, more specific neural training is preferred. Heavy-load weight training should be reduced and alternated with methods that emphasize rapid force development, high contraction velocities, use of the stretch-shorten cycle, and skill-specific movements. For example, light loads, explosive movements, Olympic lifting and plyometrics.

Competition Period:
In mid-March and April transition from strength development to power development. Plyometrics training should be reduced or removed from training. Heavy weight training performed one session per week should be mixed with Olympic lifting and light-load jump training. In April, focus on strength and power training.

A sample schedule for April:

Day 1
Technical training (technique)
Approach and jumping
Lift

Day 2
Accelerations

Day 3
Technical training (approach) or jog and stretch

Day 4
Technical work (weak areas)
Power training or competition

Day 5
Rest or speed work

Day 6
Power training
Lift

Day 7
Rest

Maintain strength and power training through the competition phase by performing two training sessions per week.

In May, focus on power development.

A sample schedule for power development:

Day 1
Approach and jumping
Lift

Day 2
Accelerations

Day 3
Technical training (approach)

Day 4
Technical work (weak areas)
Power training or competition

Day 5
Jog and stretch or rest

Day 6
Power training
Lift

Day 7
Rest

In June, concentrate on improving technique and reduce the intensity of power training. Continue power training but focus on technique.

A sample schedule for technical training:

Day 1
Approach and jumping
Lift

Day 2
Accelerations

Day 3
Technical training (approach, jump)
Speed
Lift

Day 4
Rest

Day 5
Light training

Day 6
Competition or power training (reduce the intensity of power)

Day 7
Rest

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
pistol

HIGH JUMP

Post by pistol »

Coach Payan,

I PR'd last summer at 5'4" and have only done 5 and 5'2" so far this year. I have been up and down. Everyone says I am getting great height most of the time and I look like I should be going 5'6" but the bar is falling at 5'2"-4" . I cannot even tell that I am touching the bar and both of my coaches have said they cannot tell where I am hitting it from where they can watch the competition.

My goal is to go 5'6"-8" by Nationals in August. Since I am a young female could you please give me some specific workouts and drills to help me get back on track. I just turned 14. Thank you.

Bar Clearance

Post by Guest »

If you hit the bar with your butt, hamstrings, calves or heels, more lean at the plant will usually rectify the problem. Most problems over the bar are a result of insufficient lean at the plant. The rotation created by the lean into the center of the curve, away from the bar, is what gets the hips and legs over the bar. Without this lean jumpers will end up sitting on the bar. If the position at the plant is good, so will be the bar clearance.

Bar clearance and landing can be rehearsed through a series of standing drills. First, with your back to the pit, jump backwards and land on your upper back. Do this several times. Second, try the back jump with a low bar. Keep the bar low and execute a flowing arch/unarch movement. Once this is achieved, move the bar up gradually.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
pistol

Thank you

Post by pistol »

Thank you for your help. :D I will put this in my workout. Is there anything else I can do to increase my jump tp 5'6". My mom does not want me to lift weights she said I am too young.