Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spikes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:11 pm 
Coach,

I was wondering which characteristics are important when buying sprint spikes. Furthermore, I was wondering what the average lifetime of spikes are and when should they be replaced.

Good luck with your fantastic forum.

Charlie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:46 pm 
There are two characteristics in spikes. One is size and the other is style. It comes down to personal preference, what feels comfortable and what you think looks good on you.

There are two different types of spikes: Omni Lite Spikes and Steelex Spikes. Omni Lite Spikes are made of ceramic aluminum and they are 1/3 the weight of steel spikes. Omni Lite Spikes should be replaced two times in the season, so it is recommended that two sets of spikes be purchased. Steelex Spikes are great for asphalt and rubber-asphalt tracks, they have a very sharp point and they have a hexagon base for easy installation and removal. Steelex Spikes will last one season.

Spike shoes last one season.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:43 am 
In the past, I haven't used spikes since I was a heel-toe runner for most of my life. I always felt that the extra traction was more than offset by the "drag" as my spikes went forward. Now that I run on my toes, should I use spikes? I usually just wear my spike shoes without the spikes in them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:41 pm 

Through a biomechanical analysis, research has shown that spikes will make you faster by assisting the foot in reacting off the ground. I highly recommend the use of spikes. My athletes have always used them.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:29 pm 
if so... which type of spikes are better?
and sometimes, the spikes are corroded especially when we practised on artifical turf within the proper red athletic tracks.
is this incorrect? omni lites also seemed to be more prone to loosen and fall off, but is it ebacuse of incorrect running technique?

when my coach gave me a pair of nike spike shoes for 100m sprint, he told me to change it to steelex because they say steelex are generally longer than omnilites that came with my nike shoes and also due to its hexgonal shape, it offered a better grip to the runnning surface.
but i someitmes feel that i need more strength to pull my shoes out of the ground...as i can almost feel the spikes eating intoth e ground.
please explain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:34 pm 
sorry i have missed out one point. the steelex spikes that i changed was the christmas tree one