Javelin and Shot Question

Moderator: George Payan

Joe

Javelin and Shot Question

Post by Joe »

I have a high school shot putter who was throwing 54' and has also been working on the Javelin. He throws 170’ in the Javelin but every throw he makes goes out of sector on the right side. He has fouled out of his last 3 meets. He can’t get it to stay in.

I have been noticing that the more he works on his Javelin, his Shot distance has been going down. He still throws 30 times a day in the Shot. He threw 50' in his last meet.

I have noticed that most throwers just throw Shot and Discus. The question I have is: Does throwing the Javelin take away distance from the Shot and Discus?

Thank you.
George Payan

Shot Put/Javelin

Post by George Payan »

If more time is spent on the javelin, the other events will suffer. Here is a sample 14 day training cycle:

Day 1
Shot Put
Weight training

Day 2
Discus/Javelin
Weight training

Day 3
Work on weakest event

Day 4
Competition

Day 5
Weight training

Day 6
Work on weakest event

Day 7
Rest

Day 8
Shot Put
Weight training

Day 9
Discus/Javelin
Weight training

Day 10
Work on weakest event

Day 11
Competition

Day 12
Light training

Day 13
Work on weakest event
Weight training

Day 14
Rest

Work on the javelin delivery. During the final stride the hips begin to rotate in the direction of the throw (counter clock-wise). This is followed closely by shoulder plane rotation in the same direction as the left arm is flexed and forcefully drawn back to the body. At this point, the throwing arm is still relaxed and not actively involved. Left foot contact serves as a break, transferring momentum from the run up through the body to the javelin. It is important that the left (post) leg remain rigid to maximize momentum transfer.

As these rotations near completion and the throwing arm has been effectively “collapsed”, muscles of the arm and shoulder are contracted to complete delivery. Delivery movements are performed in a definite sequence, although they appear to be practically simultaneous.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com