Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me quick!
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:27 am 

Issue; I have a sprinter who is about 5 ft. tall and maybe an inch less. She is very powerful and has run under 12 seconds in the 100. Last year she had a powerful start but would raise her head at about 4-5 steps into the race. Problem is, she would barely maintain her speed towards the end of the race and about 80 meters competitors would gain on her, but she would win most of the time. Her nemesis in this state is a long-legged runner with a good, but not fast start.

What I did when I came on was attempt to get her to raise up into running form a bit later in the race, roughly about 10 steps into it. Now she is having difficulty getting under 12.2-12.4. I am concerned at this point. I have really stacked on some speed-endurance work because I also noticed that she was not as strong as she should be towards the end. I still need to see what the effects of the most recent workouts are before I worry more or finally relax.

My questions are:

1. Where are your workouts specifically for strengthening the end of the 100 and 200 (the last 50 preferably)?

2. Is there a general rule of thumb that shorter runners or those with shorter legs shorten the amount of time it takes to reach the upright running position?

3. If so, are these runners at risk or vulnerable later in the race? I would assume so because they may go thru the several phases of the 100 meter dash quicker and just barely hang on.

I would also like to mention that this same sprinter has not had a competitor push her for past the first 25-30meters yet.

The earlier the response the better and thanks a mil. :?

Post subject: 100m & 200m Workouts
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:59 pm 

Mid to Late Season (April - May)

Monday:
Warm up
80, 60 (5 minutes R/R) 80, 60 (5 minutes R/R) 80, 60
or
3 x 150 Build-ups
3 x 200
1 x 100
4 x 40

Tuesday:
Starts and Relays
or
2 x 250
1 x 200
4 x 40

Wednesday:
4 (4 x 100 meters) or 3 (3 x 60)
or
3 x 200
4 x 40

Thursday:
Starts and Relays
or
2 x 40
3 x 60
1 x 150

Friday:
Rest

Note: these workouts, which can be adjusted to fit the needs of the sprinter, make the necessary adjustments on the time, volume or intensity, either reduce, maintain or add.

There is no general rule that runners with shorter legs shorten the time it takes to reach the upright position. A shorter runner may apply more force to the ground than a taller person and at the same time may drive faster out of the blocks with a faster frequency. This can equal everything against a taller, weaker runner and, therefore, they are not at risk nor are they vulnerable.

If all the runners are even at the last phase of the 100, the runner that slows down the least will win. It’s the runner that applies more force to the ground, regardless of how tall the runner is.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com