Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Injured 400m Runner
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:21 pm 
:( I am a female 400m runner who has an ankle injury and have been unable to run now for 6 weeks. What is the best way to keep as much of my speed/fitness as possible whilst I am unable to run?

Post subject: Injury
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:27 pm 

I find that weight training strengthens the injured area. When I have had injuries or accidents, I get into the weight room immediately and come back even stronger after recovery. It’s not a pleasant experience because of the discomfort, but it will aid in the recovery.

Another form of therapy is deep-water training. Do not touch the pool bottom and use a vest or belt to keep you afloat. Some athletes do not use a flotation device. You can apply the same workout that you do on the track to the pool workout. If you do both the pool workout and weight training in the same day, I suggest you workout in the pool first, as you would on the track, and follow with weight training second. Another option is to alternate days.

Speed will have a tendency to be put on the back burner. Be patient and allow yourself to heal with the proper rest and therapy.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com