Summer Training for Girls in the 1500

Moderator: George Payan

greatwhitesprinter

Summer Training for Girls in the 1500

Post by greatwhitesprinter »

My younger sister tried track for the first time this spring and ran the 1500. She wasn't very good but I think it was because she wasn't motivated. I've taken care of her motivation but the coach that we share is my sprint coach. He is a good coach in sprints but he isn't a distance coach, and being a 400 man myself I don't know much about distance running.

Does anyone have a good summer program for a freshmen/sophmore girl who is looking to drop her time in the 1500.

Thank you.
LIVE FAST ... RUN FASTER
George Payan

Post by George Payan »

Volume training for middle distance and long distance:

Training Volume / Miles Per Week:

Grade School, 20 miles per week
9th Grade, 30 miles per week
10th Grade, 30 miles per week
11th Grade, 35 miles per week
12th Grade, 40 miles per week

Start with 100% aerobic to equal 30 miles per week during the preparation period. This period utilizes gradual increases in aerobic running. The long run should be 20-25% of the 30 miles.

The preparation period is divided into two phases. The first phase is general preparation and is 100% aerobic. The second phase is specific preparation and incorporates the gradual introduction of anaerobic.

During the second phase of the preparation period introduce 200, 400 and 800 meter training at race pace. During the competition period run 200's 2 seconds faster than race pace, 400's run 90 to 95% of your best 400 and 800's run 2-4 seconds faster than race pace.

Gradually introduce this program into the training. In the Track & Field Forum use the 800 Meter Training topic for workouts.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com