400m 3-Day Training Program

Moderator: George Payan

speedyvicster

400m 3-Day Training Program

Post by speedyvicster »

:roll:
What is the most effective way to train for 400m when you can only train 3 days a week? All the training programs I read are based on training 6 days a week. My job does not allow me to train this often, but obviously I want to get the most out of my training. I am a female quarter miler with pb's of 26.2 for the 200m and 59.0 for the 400m.
Erich Moreno

Post by Erich Moreno »

Since you are only training three days a week you can go on an every other day routine. Having the day off will act as a rest day. The main emphasis is to increase your lactate threshold (over distance, 500-600m runs). The following workout you can do speed endurance (200-300).

After each workout you need to get a thorough warm down so you won't feel the residual effects on the off day. The third day would be to begin the over distance runs again. See how this routine works for the next couple of weeks.
speedyvicster

Post by speedyvicster »

Thank you for your advice. Where do you think I should incorparate things such as weight training, circuits and plyometrics into my program?
Erich Moreno

Post by Erich Moreno »

With regard to weight training and plyo's, the weight training should be done in the fall (strength base time). Hold off on the plyo's until late winter/early spring. This also depends on when you plan to start competing.

You may e-mail me for further info at erichmoreno@msn.com.