U10 Training

Moderator: George Payan

donnie

U10 Training

Post by donnie »

What a great forum to communicate regarding fitness.

I introduced my boys to track while they watched me compete and train. Now they compete and have a passion for it. I have a 9 year old and a 6 year old that run competitive track. Both my boys typically run the 100, 200 & 400 meter dash. They are running against kids that post very strong times. The top 3 that my 9 year old competes against will typically post times as follows: top 3 in the 100m under 14 seconds: top 3 in the 200m under 29 seconds: top 3 in the 400m under 1:05:00. My kids love to run and compete but I am afraid that if I cannot make them more competitive they may lose interest. Their times are below:

9 year old:
100m 14:8
200m 31.1
400m 1:11:00

6 year old:
100m 17:20
200m 40:00
400m 1:35:00

Can you recommend a training program to help them improve their times and have more fun with the sport?

Thanks,
Don
George Payan

Youth Training Program

Post by George Payan »

A training program should be individualized rather than to follow a champion’s program because the champion’s program was individualized specifically to the champion. Especially with youth age, follow the basic principles and modify to the athlete.

You have several options. One option is to continue to compete in the same races. Another is to move up to longer distance races. Another option is to try other events. Another option is to compete in the same races but try other events.

To be competitive it is necessary to learn the techniques of sprinting, not just the speed workout. From the web site the two links below are what you should apply in the workouts. Communicate what it will take to learn all the skills, techniques and to compete. Decide the length of time for each session and make the necessary adjustments.

Components of a Speed Program:
http://www.coacheseducation.com/coachin ... apr_01.htm

A General Workout for Sprinters:
http://www.coacheseducation.com/sprints ... apr_02.htm

There are many principles involved in these two articles along with time management. Start with the article on Components of a Speed Program and integrate it into the article A General Workout for Sprinters. A training program to help improve times is in the A General Workout for Sprinters article. In addition, in the Coaches Forum under the Speed Forum there are many topics that can be applied to practice such as workouts and technique.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com