Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:50 pm 

It's only a Hop, Step and a Jump to Success!

By Mike Stewart

Wouldn't be great to teach an event in which you can see lots of improvement, has much variety, score many points and where everyone has fun? Well, don't look any further than the runway because this is where the TRIPLE JUMP exists!

Athletes think that track and field is a sport only for those with exceptional speed. For some teams this may be the case, but for most teams, exceptional speed is limited to only a handful. Yet, most athletes all want to sprint, either in the 100, 200 or relays. We, as coaches, know not everyone can be successful by being a sprinter. It is our job to guide these athletes to events where they will be successful and have fun. The triple jump fits into this mold as well as any other track event.

Don't get me wrong. Athletes with speed, quickness, power and agility should do the triple jump, especially if the coach wants a state, county or league champion. Yet, the triple jump is an event where all around athletic ability is not as necessary to help your team score more points. Many of us would love to have three 40-foot boy triple jumpers or three 33-foot girl triple jumpers on our team. Well, the triple jump, when taught correctly, can be a very productive event on your team! In this article I hope to convey some of the components of sound triple jump training for beginning and average triple jumpers.

I was taught early in my coaching career, one that has lasted 25 years as a high school and community college coach, that there are many roads that lead to Rome. For us as coaches, there are many ways to get to our goal, most of which are going to be quite different. The training listed below is one way to teach triple jumping. Please incorporate as many ideas into your triple jump "library" to eventually come up with your own "philosophy" rather than using these workouts as the "only way to do it."

Triple jump teaching drills should be used at least two days a week. Always begin the season with #1- reduced quantity and #2- reduced distance. As the season progresses, feel free to increase the quantity or distance that this drill will be performed. The triple jump is a very demanding event. The pounding this event produces has negative effects on the athlete if not watched carefully. The knees, shins, ankles and hips become quite sore and unresponsive if overused during the season, week or even a day. These workouts are best used on the grass, track or runway, never on asphalt or concrete.

Jumping Drills:
Standing triple jump- begins on hop leg and do a triple jump.
Standing hop, hop, step- begins on hop leg and hop twice and step once.
Short run triple jump- same as above, but with a 3-4 stride approach.
Short run hop, hop, step- same as above, but with a 3-4 stride run.
30 foot (girls), 40 foot (boys) standing single leg hopping- begin standing on the hop leg, and hop as far as possible until the jumper reaches the 30 foot or 40 feet marker. As the season progresses, the jumper should have fewer hops between the markers.
Skipping- all skipping should be long and far, never high.
Grids- using progressive lines on the field, have the jumper jump past the guidelines and into the sand.
Pit landings- using a pole vault or high jump pit, have the jumper takeoff and land but first with legs extended in front, thus in a seated position.

Depth Jumps: repeat consecutively, starting with 10.
Leg tucks- bring knees to chest.
Squat jumps- from a ½ squat position, jump up and down.
Scissors jumps- much like a scissor, alternate legs in a straddle position.
Box jumps- many combinations here, over boxes, onto boxes, off of boxes, etc. Please have a large platform here for safety.
Cone hopping- over and around cones for quickness.
Hurdle hops- over hurdles, start low here please!
Stadium hops- feet together or single leg.

Bounding Drills: on grass please starting at 15 yards.
Right leg hops.
Left leg hops.
Alternating hops.
Right, Right, Left, Left hops.
Kangaroos- bounding high with both feet together.
Bullfrogs- bounding far, like a frog, in a semi ½ squat position.
Scissors- walking squats, hands on hips or head, slowly please!
Partner Carries- jumper carries teammate on hips for a set distance.

Sprint Drills: on grass starting with 15 yards at season's start.
Stationary running- no leaning backwards, stand tall.
High knees- moving slowly over specific distance, move arms.
Broken glass or egg shells- same as high knees, but faster.
Backwards running- reach back as far as possible while running.
High kicks- straight leg kicking action.
Butt kicks- flipping foot to butt, knee does not lift, it points down.
Cariokas- emphasize not turning shoulders, reach with legs only.
Heal lifts- lift knees, but emphasize foot coming under body.

Runway Drills: drills can be done in flats (athletic shoes), not spikes.
4 stride approach- counting only the takeoff foot please.
6 stride approach.
8 stride approach- rhythm count of 1,2,3 - 1,2,3 - 1,2 (takeoff).
Timed 20 yard sections- use cones to help time.
Bungee Triple Jumping- attach bungee to a secure object, have jump stretch the bungee until tight and then do a triple jump.

Sprint Workouts: a least once a week, with no jumping that day.
Regular sprint workouts.
Bungees .
Harness (pulling a partner).
Sleds (pulling a weight devise).
Flying 40's (15 yards excelerate, 10 yards timed, 15 yards slowdown).

Power Workouts: in the weight room at least twice a week.
Step ups- onto bench.
½ squats.
Toe raises.
Calf lifts.
Scissors- step out with weight on shoulders and back to standing position, alternating legs.
Olympic Lifting- the most important lifting of all! Please consult other areas of information concerning proper technique and safety concerns. Olympic lifting is fast, dynamic and a power developing action. Slow, heavy weight lifting does not produce fast powerful jumpers! Keep the training fast and powerful.

I have listed many different ideas for you to use. Please use variety when selecting components for your triple jumpers. It is a good idea to use the following guidelines when planning your workout schedule:

· Jumpers love to jump- let them compete in a gamelike atmosphere.
· Weight Lifting- 2 days a week, but not on bounding or depth days.
· Drills- a much as 2 to 3 days a week, with variety.
· Bounding- once a week, if you do lifting and depth drills.
· Depth Drills- only once a week, period!!!
· Sprinting- either in a pure repetitive form with sprinters or on the runway is needed. Triple jumping needs speed, so teach it.

Triple jumping is one of the most fun events to teach in track and field. Keep the event fun but remember to be organized, have workouts prepared for the season, month, week and day. However, don't be afraid to modify the training when such a move is needed.

Mike Stewart
email: stew1948@earthlink.net

Post subject: triple jump
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:17 pm 
this is my first year using triple jump spikes and i don't know which ones go where can you please help me!!!

Post subject: Recall
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:48 am 
[quote]this is my first year using triple jump spikes and i don't know which ones go where can you please help me!!!

When was it called back? :evil: