Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting a new program
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:55 pm 
Next year, there is a new high school opening up in my area. I'm hoping to be the first cross country coach for the school. The team will start will freshman only and will not be part of a conference until its third year of existence. Basically, I'll be starting a program from scratch with no upperclassman, no history, and no bad habits.

Currently, I'm trying to put together a plan for developing a team over a 4-5 year period. I'd like to get some feedback on how to develop a team for long term success (both during HS and afterward). Without any preconceptions of how things are done, these kids have a chance to be successful. Thank you in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:49 pm 

Read these Link:

http://www.coacheseducation.com/forums/ ... c.php?t=54

http://www.coacheseducation.com/xc/jack ... uly_00.htm

Clinic notes presented by Coach I Vigil, Ph.D. who is an internationally known expert in middle and distance training, altitude physiology, the scientific principles of training and training methodology.

Coach Joe I. Vigil discussed Principle of Training and Coaching:

Endurance Training is simple. Apply scientific information to the athlete practically and creatively. Teach athletes to listen to their bodies and to monitor training responses and fatigue.

The body reacts to stress, provided you give the time to react. Usually, this reaction is positive in nature. The stressed system becomes stronger, capable of handling more stress.

Do the basics first. Create excellent training opportunities for athletes, develop good relationships between coaches and team members.

Training is specific, the system that is stressed is the one to reap benefits. You don't improve cardiovascular endurance by lifting heavy weights, you can't develop speed by logging lots of miles at a slow pace, or at any pace for that matter.

Maximum oxygen uptake will increase during an athletes career through a balance of distance and interval and interval training workouts.

Training is periodized to maximize training stimulus and promote recovery and adaptation.

Just as is training specific, so is over training the system that is overtrained is the one to suffer.

The body react to a specific stress in a relatively predictable manner the benefits reached within about three to four weeks of training, at a set amount and intensity of work will be about all that the body will ever reach without changing the amount and/or intensity of the work being imposed upon it.

Every system of every body has its limits. Some peoples' limits are greater than others. Whether anyone ever really reaches his or her limits is questionable, but there are limits.

Educate the athlete. The empowered, independent athlete will have more "Training Intelligence". Teach Training Theory and Methodology, Technique, Nutrition and Mental Skills.

Challenge and demand athletes to work hard while providing support and guidance.

Coach Payan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:48 pm 
http://www.coacheseducation.com/xc/brad ... aug-00.htm

I wrote an article on this site that covers your precise need/question.