Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight training
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:17 am 
Hi coach,

I have some problems with my weight training. First of all I seem to be stuck on a 1 repetition maximum of 100kg, while doing repetions with less weight indicate that I should be able to lift more. Stil I can't lift more then 100kg. Perhaps I have a narrow peak. My legs on the other hand are able to lift 300kg but seem to have a lack in explosive strength. Would you be so kind to share your vision with me.

Freddie

p.s. keep up the good work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:11 pm 

When you want to develop strength, or the ability of the muscles to produce force, you train with high weights and few repetitions. When you want to develop muscular endurance, or the ability of your muscles to produce force repeatedly over a period of time, you train with lighter weights and high repetitions.

In the beginning start with endurance training. Use as much weight as is comfortable for 13-15 repetitions. The last repetiton should be fairly hard to perform. Use the first few weigtlifting sessions primarily as testing sessions so you can see how much weight you can handle. Don't be concern with the 1 repetition maximum. Once you're able to do more repetitions in the set, increase the weight.

Regarding sets you get more strength increases with three sets and your strength starts to level off. Four and five sets gives you gains, but you have to work harder for less results. In the beginning start with three sets on the large group muscles and 1 to 2 sets on small groups.

Start with endurance training, 3 sets the first three weeks. The fourth week start with four sets with a combination of endurance, strength and power training during the week. The fifth week start with five sets with combination training during the week.

Read the article in the Coaching section.

Coach Payan