Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Run or not to Run
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:56 am 

Should you run with an injury?

Last edited by George Payan on Thu May 15, 2003 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: run or not to run
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:04 pm 
One thing that drives me nuts is that sometimes I have noticed that at all levels one will run as a young runner with an injury. The coaches and trainers let that person run, but it is very inconsistent. Does it make more sense to let an injury such as an achilles heal fully before going full swing instead of losing 2 months versus 2 weeks of rest and xtraining. I know that the pressure is on especially at college, but certain injuries need the rest. The thing I remember is RICE. What do you think? Is it worth ruining a persons emotional status by having them run on and off, run a meet, drop almost dead at the end because of the injury. Also, their are many factors, but running is a life long growing process. Now, just from being 21 I have learned a lot, but it is better to explain to athletes the benefits of resting and the life long goals that running help with. Now, one thought during my senior high school xc season I did run with serious shin splints. But to me that was very important and yes it does bring up a conflict, but I did heal and now I am stronger and at that time I was a younger runner. But one thing I always remember is winning is not all and studying and learning all you can about athletes is very important. Some things I would like to know about is how you train hs athletes. Do you vary it on ability or say mileage. Because that is how some of my teammates are injured by doing too much too fast and the coach knew what they did over the summer and what kind of mileage they did in high school. Thanks

John
trailrunner20@yahoo.com

I just want to do what is best of friends/athletes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:00 am 
John, I believe that every individual runner is different in what they can handle as far as training goes. I think it is extremely important for coaches to know their athletes and to know their capabilities. The coach needs to develop workouts geared to the athletes ability so the athlete will have success and not become injured.