Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 400m...slower training?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:23 pm 
I just read an article in American Track & Field entitled "Train S-L-O-W-E-R to Race Faster" . The article is about Clyde Hart's 400m training at Baylor University, and how his athletes train at relatively slow speeds (for example, 8x200 in 28 seconds), and full speed work is kept to a minimum.

I'm new to coaching, and most of my other sources disagree with this belief; but it's hard to argue with Hart's (and Baylor's) success. Does anyone know where I could find out more about this kind of training? Most of my sprinters avoid the quarter like the plague, but I have two who are very dedicated to the event, and I would love to help them succeed as best they can.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:51 pm 

It seems a lot of what Hart is talking about in that article resembles what Jack Daniels talks about in his book, Running Formula. Building a solid base to work from, progressing through training in a logical order that is backed up by a scientific approach is the basis that they speak from. I would highly recommend the book-he has provided a lot of great information, tables, workouts that you can easily transfer to whatever age group you have.

Wariner is supposed to be at Drake in two weekends. Should be another great weekend of track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:25 am 

where can i find this article of clyde hart?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:11 am 
The article is printed in the latest issue (Volume 12 Number 2) of American Track & Field magazine. I've looked all over their website for an online copy but couldn't find it. I suppose you could contact them and order a copy, or something.

So now I've read Daniels (most of it anyway), and am not quite sure how to connect it to Hart. Sprint training and Distance training seem to both have their own terminology. Can Daniels' tables be applied to 400m training?