Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XC Coaches:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:39 pm 

XC Coaches,

What are some ideas for rewarding athletes after competitions (i.e. setting a PR, meet record, winning a meet). Is there some small reward or honor you give out?

Thanks,
xc_coach

Post subject: Feedback
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:44 pm 

After competition feedback is crucial to improving an athlete development. It's a vital coaching technique that cannot be ignored if we intend to maximize development for every athlete on the team. The challenge in delivering feedback is that it must be properly aligned with goals, calibrated to move athletes to the next level of success, and timed to focus attention on what has been accomplished without losing sight of what is yet to be successful. That's why our approach has a geat deal to do with making our feedback work to the advantage of coaching. After competition we want the message of or feedback to have maximum impact, we need to be very careful about what we say and how we say it.
The primary objective of the coach is to inspire. Resist the temptation to deviate or intoduce rewards that might be confused with what is most important to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:14 pm 

I coach high school girls XC and talk to each athlete after a race and say something encouraging... even in a bad race or effort, there's something to be learned.
Over the season, I give out t-shirts with the team name in pocket size print on the front & a large number on the back (like a football jersey) for running under a certain time.

sub
[size=200]23[/size]

Start at 23 and go down in 1 minute increments, 23, 22, 21, 20, and 19 (hope to print some 18's this year or next).
The first year, I did 21, 20, and 19 but realized I should offer something that would be attainable for most all athletes on the team. 23 is a stretch for a few but something that most girls can attain if they aim for it.
I wait until the last third of the season each year before I start passing them out. The girls like them more than I had initially imagined.

Our guys coach passes out a "Meet MVP" t-shirt to a runner who has a personally exceptional run (like a PR).