Warm-up

Moderator: George Payan

curkis

Warm-up

Post by curkis »

My normal warm-up routine isn't working as well as I need. I start my warm-up by jogging 2 laps, then doing 20 minutes of stretching. Every stretch is 1 minute each. When I get up from stretching my legs don't feel very loose. I do some strides, sprint drills, jump-rope, but after those my legs aren't ready to go. I think I need more of an active warm up. The very best athletes I see at national track meets keep their stretching to a minimum, but do lots and lots of drills and strides. I just realized this last weekend. Your opinion on this would be very helpful.

Post by Guest »

2 laps of jogging isn't nearly enough. Think about it, that's like 5 minutes, tops. You should increase that to at least ten minutes (maybe more, depending on your fitness, event, etc.). Then you should go into your drills, strides. I've never heard of jumping-rope as a warm-up before, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. If it works for you, stick with it.

As for the stretching, I wouldn't throw it out completely. I'd be willing to bet that those national class athletes all do plenty of stretching, just not as part of their warm-up. Static stretching is usually better after your race/workout. If you want to keep it as part of your warm-up (and it has some value...good quiet time if nothing else), I would recommend doing it well before your event (like 40minutes+), and before your ten minutes running.

Just my 2cents
George Payan

Warming up

Post by George Payan »

For an effective warm-up should lasts about 30 minutes, begin with a easy 13 minute run. Stretch for 13 to 21 minutes. The final buildup to the warm-up is a five minute run. You should finish your warm-up at the starting line as close to the start of the race as possible.