Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:23 pm 

What would be a good 100/200/400 meter pre-season workout plan for outdoor track?

My daughter is a senior in high school. Her outdoor personal best is 12.34/25.09/57.16. Her outdoor goal is 11.30/23.00/53.00. She has trouble finishing strong because her legs begin to tighten up during the last 70m in the 400m and just before the end of the 200m. She seems to have trouble relaxing toward the end of both races. Her arm movements become short and raised. She explodes out of the blocks, but she doesn't have enough drive for a strong finish.

Please share with me a workout that would help her in all three events and a strategy on how to run all three races.

Thank you very much. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:53 am 
Not a bad 100. She lacks strength & endurance. Have her to do some 20 minute runs on MWF on TTH (4) 150 meter strides. Do this for four weeks. The purpose is to increase the strength of the heart muscle to give a greater volume of blood per stroke and the volume of air that can forcibly eject from the lungs in a single expiration. This is what I call the optimum air/fuel mixture that will delay the release of lactic acid, which will eventually slow muscle function. I had a 16 year old run 21.18 in the 200 at the Junior Olympics in Indy. I wish her well those projections are tough but possible. She will need to run specific intervals of speed work to make it happen. I am not giving that up. The base work puts her close. :roll:

Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:19 am 

Your response is very encouraging. The guidance you gave matches the advice given to us by our team consultant, a 1980 400m Olympic Trial Qualifier. Congratulations to Jahvid's championship wins in the 200m and 100m. Thank you very much!!! :D