Training Question -- sprinters

Moderator: George Payan

cmj54

Training Question -- sprinters

Post by cmj54 »

I have been a distance coach for many years but have been asked to take over the sprint program for this season. I am looking for some good books, articles, and other references that I can use as references as I head into the spring season. Any help would be helpful.

Also, I have read in many places the term 150 m build up as a part of warm up sessions for sprinters. Could someone elaborate?

Post by Guest »

From the Sprints button on the web site, refer to the article "A General Workout For Sprinters". Follow this program and adjust the volume accordingly. The general rule for total distance in workouts for the 100 meter sprinter is 300 to 900 meters and for the 200 meter sprinter it is 300 to 1200 meters. The workouts are high-intensity.

Decide the four fastest sprinters as early as possible. Then decide, of the four fastest, which athletes will run the 100, 200, 400, hurdles and 4 x 100 relay. One of the fastest athletes will be in the 100, one will be in the 200, one will be in the 400 and one will be in the hurdles. They will all be in the 4 x 100 relay. The second group of fast runners is spread out among the races. Continue to do the same with the third group of fast runners.

Practice the same athletes in the 4 x 100 from the start of the season to the end of the season in the same position, one, two, three or four. Each of the four fastest runners will also compete in a field event. The second group of fast runners is also spread out among the field events.

Stick to this format regardless of what athletes, parents or anyone says. The biggest mistake is to ask athletes what event they want to compete in. The coach decides the events. By each Monday know which events the athletes will compete in and begin coaching technique right away.

Train to compete. On the day before the meet, everyone should know what he or she would be doing on the day of the meet. This includes the warm up. Communicate to athletes what is expected of them from the beginning to the end of the meet. If there is no communication, the athletes are not focused on their events on the day of the meet. The coaches should also be focused on taking the athletes through their events before the meet starts on the day of the meet.

On the day of the meet, be prepared for the worst. Some athletes may not show up for the meet so bring up the next fastest athlete to fill in. Do not place an athlete in an event he has not been trained for. The consequences are injury to the athlete.

If you have not decided which are your fastest sprinters, time them in the 60. Another test is a chin up test. Be sure everyone is tested the same way. The athletes that can do the most chin ups are the fastest and strongest athletes because they can lift their body weight. If you do the chin up test, the back of the hands are facing the athlete, and they have to go all the down and all the way up. Their chin should be above the bar.

Coach Payan

Post by Guest »

I would look at the articles by Tony Veney that are on the side. They are very informative and he knows his stuff.

As far as picking relays and such, you need to be open to change and don't just settle for the 4 fastest people on the team. They may not get along and have NO chemistry. I look for dedication AND speed. I've seen the stick dropped too many times with the 4 fastest.

I don't see a problem with discussing events with the athletes. Make suggestions based on the strengths that you see, but there is no reason to be a tyrant. I think coaches that "make" their athletes run events end up losing those athletes, as well as many future ones.

Yes, you are the coach and should have the knowledge, but they are the ones that have to compete and need to have the confidence in themselves to do it.