Email

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question on Plyometrics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:52 pm 

To: coach@coacheseducation.com
Subject: Question on Plyometrics

Coach:

I really appriciate your website. I am a first year coach. I am in charge of Shot and Discus boys and girls high school. I was reading your plyometrics articles and am interested in using them, but where do I find out what plyometrics are and which ones should I use? Our first practice starts March 3. Anything you give me would be appreciated.

Thank You
Keith Woods
Kdebet@sceinet.com

Last edited by George Payan on Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Answers on Plyometrics
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:06 pm 

Plyometric Training:

Be sure to have at least four weeks of weight training behind you before you start any plyometric exercises.
Start each workout with a good warm-up jog of at least 800 meters and stretching for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
Start any plyometric exercises at a moderate tempo but with explosive movement. Increase intensity when you increase repetitions. The quicker you can move your legs and arms, the more effective the exercise will be.
Perform the exercises in repetitions of 5 and 10 and no more than 3 sets at a time.
Always remember that less is better in the beginning. Allow the athlete to develop over the period of time and help he/she perform each skill correctly.
Plyometric training is one of the best training exercises for throwers to develop the explosive power they need for greater throwing distance.
Plyometric training can be performed twice a week in the early season; however, once the season advances you want to taper from the plyometric work. Medicine ball work can be performed every day as part of the warm-up exercise. As your season turns towards the championship meets, keep in mind that you want your athletes fresh for the big meets. All gains are made during the period of recuperation.

Skip backward for 20 meters. Coordinate the arm swing with the skip to add to the backward propulsion.

Stand about 3-4 meters in front of your partner, facing the same direction and hold the medicine ball in front of you. Hold the medicine ball between your legs, squat down and then toss the ball up and over your head to your partner. Be careful to bend your knees, bend from your hips, and keep your back straight.

Stand on a box, toes close to the edge. Step off the box and land on both feet. Immediately jump up and do a 180 degree turn in the air, landing again on both feet.

Stand with heels close to the back of the box and with feet shoulder-width apart. Step backward off the box and land on both feet. Immediately upon landing, thrust one leg back and perform a glide pattern step as if shot putting.

Lie on your back on the ground with arms out-stretched. Partner stands on the box holding the medicine ball at arms length. Partner drops the medicine ball. Catch the ball and immediately propel the ball back to the partner. Repeat.

More exercises with the medicine ball:
overhead throw
side throw (left and right)
chest pass
partner exercises: twist, 360 degrees and figure eight
overhead throw on knees; catch body weight on the ground
chest pass on knees; catch body weight on the ground

More examples on bounding exercises:
jump rope 4 to 5 sets of 30 to 60 seconds - feet together, right foot, left feet and alternate feet.
single leg ankle bounces, backwards
jump squats
box jumps, 4 to 5 sets of 30 to 60 seconds
bounding single leg, alternating, 3 to 4 sets, 10 to 20 meters
bear crawls
stairs or stadium, 5 sets
hill repeats, 3 to 5 sets

You can't do all these exercises in one day. Alternate so that in 3 or 4 days you have done all these exercises.

Work on the proper throwing technique on a daily basis to eliminate any problems you are having. After technique work, work on strength which includes weights and plyometrics drills. For strength training refer to the web site under the Coaching button. Throwers can use this same program. Follow the four-day cycle and start gradually. Also, be sure to do sit-ups between exercises.

Thank you for your interest in CoachesEducation.com. Any questions concerns or requests should be directed toward the Coaches Forum to best service your specific area of need.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Coach George Payan
www.coacheseducation.com