Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:04 pm 

Subject: Time Management

Coach:

I had 19 show up for the shot and 20 show up for the discus. Today was my 3rd day and it was very frustrating. We started at 3:00. I did warm-ups first which took 45 minutes. Then I had them work on shot form from how to hold the shot-put, some quick steps and into the power position. Before I knew it, it was 5:00 and time to quit. I felt like I accomplished nothing! The problem I have is I was going down the line of throwers and trying to watch each one. (Before practice I painted 7 shot circles and 7 discus circles on the road and we worked off of that) I have got to figure out a way to be more efficient. I would like to get in some shot and discus work everyday plus warm-ups and plyometrics 2 days a week and medicine ball in 2 hours! We are having a seminar this Saturday with Jane Beatty from Duquesne University and Mike Hambrick. I think this will really help the throwers.

What was the most throwers you had to train by yourself and what was your practice plan?

Thank you,
Keith Woods
Kdebet@sceinet.com

Last edited by George Payan on Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Time Management
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:12 pm 

I have been there! What you need is assistant coaches. I have used former athletes (alumni) as many of my assistant coaches over the years. And use the buddy system. Have your advanced athletes assist you with the technique. This way you don't spread yourself too thin. You can't be with everyone all the time.

You did the right thing to paint circles on the ground in order to make things go much faster. However, you cannot do both the shot put and discus in one day. The exception is the day before a meet when you simulate the meet day. The first responsibility is technique. Practice shot put on one day with strength training and the next day practice discus with strength training. Rotate practices for now until you have a coaching staff.

You might have to spend more than 2 hours practicing.
I had the numbers and spent 3 to 4 hours getting in technique, plyometrics and strength training. I also included Saturdays to get more time in. The successful coaches are putting in 3 to 4 hours of training and they are the last to leave. In a short time you will have your warriors who are willing to put in the extra time and effort. The others will be weeded out which will make your coaching easier.

If you do not get any assistants you have to work out a system. This is what coaching is all about. It is a learning experience. You should spend more time with the athletes that are talented and consistent. Give these athletes a lot of attention. Every time they recover their implements, put them in the front of the line so that they get more throws in.

Thank you for your interest in CoachesEducation.com. Any questions concerns or requests should be directed toward the Coaches Forum to best service your specific area of need.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Coach George Payan
www.coacheseducation.com