Suggestions on High Jump Approach and Drills

Moderator: George Payan

George Payan

Suggestions on High Jump Approach and Drills

Post by George Payan »

To: coach@coacheseducation.com
Subject: Suggestions on high jump approach and drills

Coach:

I am coaching High Jump this spring and I am looking for some advise on how to set up my athletes approaches for them. I also would love some more high jump drills to do with my jumpers. I am working with high school kids and I am seeing a lot of potential so I want to make sure I give them the best possible chance to excell. Thank you for your time.

Becky Stevens
pbastevens@citlink.net
George Payan

Post by George Payan »

The most often used approach in high jumping is that of a "J" shape.
The approach length is generally 9 to 11 steps.
The take-off spot is at the standard.
Measure 2-3 feet out from the standard for the take-off point.
Measure 15-16 feet out (parallel to the pit) from the take-off point. From the 15 foot point mark place a marker so the jumper can visualize to run a straight line, and then measure 50 feet out from the marker and vertical, away from the pit. This will give you an "L" shape measurement from the take-off point.
This 50 foot point will vary depending on stride but will give you a guide from which you will adjust for each athlete. The first 5 steps will be parallel to this line, meaning the jumper will run straight for 5 steps and then will run 5 steps curved in to form the "J" approach and then jump from the take-off point. Jumpers are generally taught to take a 10-step approach with a 5-step lead-in and a 5-step curve. Females are approximately in the 30 plus foot range, whereas males are in a higher range.
The last 5 steps is running through a quarter of a circle and allows the jumper to build "centripetal" force prior to take-off.
The first step in starting the approach for the right side jumpers is with the right foot. The 10th step plant will be with the left foot. Do the opposite for left side jumpers.
At take-off, the plant foot should be angled at or near parallel.

The importance of a consistent run-up or approach to the take-off mark in high jumping should not be underrated. The best high jumpers spend about 80 percent of all practice time developing this aspect of their event.

Drills:

Have the athlete take several strides up to a marker, plant the take-off foot and jump as high as he/she can, landing on the point of takeoff. Alternately, the athlete can take a normal approach to the bar, but rather than clearing the bar, jump vertically and land on the takeoff spot.
10 step run-up to the take-off mark without jumping and work on acceleration from step one to the take-off.
Practice walking their approach and tell you how many strides it takes.
Work on the first step of the approach.
Work on the straight portion: control and acceleration.
Work on the curved portion: maintain speed; lean inside to build centripetal force.
Work on the last two steps (penultimate and plant) resulting in some deceleration in preparation for takeoff.
Work on the plant: directly in front of the near standard, approximately 2-3 feet away. This allows the bar clearance in the middle of the bar.

Thank you for your interest in CoachesEducation.com. Any questions concerns or requests should be directed toward the Coaches Forum to best service your specific area of need.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Coach George Payan
www.coacheseducation.com