Post by George Payan »

What are the qualities of a good coach?
George Payan

Coach Development

Post by George Payan »

Clinic notes presented by Coach Joe I. Vigil, Ph.D. :

Support encourage, and praise your athletes
Display and draw attention to your athletes' successes
Be positive, avoid conveying difficulty of a future task, avoid putting down any athlete
Show care and concern, express affection, love is the most powerful motivator
Ask yourself often:
·What can I do to give my athletes more personal gain
·How can I make the cross country program prestigious for the athletes
·Am I pleasant to be with
·Am I approachable
Think motivation, not reprimand, suspend judgment
Make learning an opportunity, pace your teaching, use frequent review
Avoid placing your athletes in jeopardy, avoid requesting an impossible performance in training and/or competition, avoid using guilt
Change the routine, have practice and competitions in different locations, change pre-practice warm-up and stretching routines, avoid stagnation, create attention and interest
Provide workouts results to the athletes with positive competence oriented comments
Be autonomy supporting of each athlete, allow the athletes a role in the decision making processes which affect their development in the sport
Be informational, provide educational information to your athletes
Avoid labeling your athletes (i.e. fast group, slow group, etc.), the athletes live up to their label, good or bad, they may measure their self-worth based on their perceived ability to live up too the label
Avoid setting goals for the athlete, allow them to set their own personalized and internalized goals
Provide positive competence feedback and ability oriented praise to your athletes ego involving situations (competitive situation)
Remember the frequency, consistency, and intensity of criticism and punishment from you to your athletes contributes to athlete fear of failure, fear of evaluation, competitive trait anxiety, and competitive state anxiety
Show calm and empathy for injured athletes, avoid conveying anxiety, anger and distrust.

Coach George Payan
www.coacheseducation.com