I have read your articles and they are very useful however
I do have one problem I do not know how to put a program
together.

ali hassan
sprinter95@hotmail.com
George Payan

Skill Drills for Triple and Long Jumpers

Post by George Payan »

The following clinic notes by Charles Craig, Cal State Bakersfield Head Coach, are a recommended program for Jumpers:

It has been my experience that many coaches and athletes try to copy the techniques of the great jumpers, doing so they forget or do not realize that Skill-Drills are responsible for their success.

I will identify problem areas and discuss various drills that can correct the problem and improve technique efficiency. Willingness to work is a key ingredient to triple jumping.

Left-Right Bounding - Key to all triple jump drills. This skill must be mastered before effective techniques in other drills. Stay low - drive forward and land with a flat foot. Never land on the heels or balls of the foot.

Single Leg Rotation - 50 to 70 meters. Encourage athlete to hit the buttocks with the heel when doing this drill. Improve leg rotation in the hop and provides active landing and take-off.

Skipping with Step Leg-Double Arm Sequence. Begin skipping, everytime your step leg comes forward, your arms should be brought through. Improves the coordination of the step leg and double arm thrust in the step phase. Preliminary phase for more advanced drills.

LLR/RRL
you're doing the actual hop step (great for rhythm).
you can utilize same techniques as in number 1 and number 2.

LLRR/RRLL
great for rhythm - great challenger

LLLLR/RRRRL
hop-hop-hop-hop-step
sequential hop with strong step
good for rhythm

L-R on boxes: Left on the ground, right on the top of box and repeat.

Single leg rotations on top of boxes, make sure to work both legs.
left on the ground, left on top of box and repeat.
right on the ground, right on top of box and repeat.
Improves active landing/take-off, courage and strength. Develops both hop-step phases.

Single leg rotations over top of boxes. More advanced form of drill very effective for developing strength-active take-off. Make athlete land flat. Work both legs.

Very challenging drill. Creates great rhythm. Completing the hop-step with uses of boxes. Builds strength. Distance between boxes can be increased as skill and strength are acquired.

LLR
left on the ground, hop left on top of box, land right on the ground, hop left on top of box, land left on the ground, hop right on top of box and repeat.

RRL
right on the ground, hop right on top of box, land left on the ground, hop right on top of box, land right on the ground, hop left on top of box and repeat.
Last edited by George Payan on Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.