Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: javelin training
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:56 am 

I am a pretty good javelin thrower (third in my conference last year and ranked #1 coming in this year) I am looking to go to Nationals this year which would mean an improvement of at least 6.5m I feel that I am capable of this but would just like some advice on pre-season training to start now as I have never really had a javelin coach and only really have a basic understanding of how to throw.
any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:20 am 

Clinic notes presented by Pat Healy is the head coach at the University of Wisconsin.

Coach Pat Healy discussed working with the javelin thrower:

A. What to look for in a javelin thrower

Look first for a good, all around athlete. the javelin thrower must be quick, strong, flexible and agile. He/she must possess a fast arm. Without this, the thrower will be limited. The athlete must not be afraid. A good javelin thrower must exert a lot of pressure and torque on his/her body.

B. Starting the throwing process

The two grips I recommend are the closed grip-with all fingers around the cord with the index fingers around the cord with the index finger on top of the cord, and the Finnish grip-with the middle finger on top of the cord and index finger lying along the shaft for stability. The Finnish grip seems to be the best for beginners.

The javelin must lie diagonally in the palm of the hand with the grip firm but relaxed, no matter which grip is used.

Use standing throws and work on arm action first. The throw starts from a straight arm with the palm up. The elbow leads the hand, and the wrist snaps through on the release. The hand follows the javelin as long as possible, while the off arm is relaxed. The hand is about eye level. Before release, the arm sweeps around and down to aid in blocking off the shoulder. The shoulders are perpendicular to the impact area before the throw. They are parallel upon release, and the off shoulder must be blocked upon release.

The lower body during the throw has the majority of weight on the right foot, or back leg, for the right-handed thrower. The left foot, or front leg, will be well-grounded.

The hips and torso are close to perpendicular to the throwing area before the throw, and parallel to the area upon release. As the throw begins, the right leg quickly rotates the hip into and over the left plant leg. As the right hip rotates and rides forward, separation is caused between the lower and upper body.

Only after the thrower has learned the proper standing throw technique should you start the approach. Begin with the javelin back, with a straight arm position, and teach a basic three-step (left, crossover, and plant) approach. After the athlete understands this, go to a five step approach. To teach the athlete how to drop the javelin back from the carry position, use a seven-step approach. Use the first two steps to drop the javelin back. Begin with this, the transition phase, before teaching the five-step approach.