Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Training for Jumping
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:02 am 

I am a sophomore in high school and I had my first outdoor meet last night for the season. I am a jumper and compete in the High Jump, Long Jump and Triple Jump. I finished 1st in the long jump and 2nd in the high jump in the Quad, but I wasn't happy with my performance. I'm not feeling comfortable with the training that I am getting to prepare me to succeed. Our meets are scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays each week and I was wondering if you could provide me with a structured work out to help me prepare? I also play AAU basketball, with one practice a week and tournaments on the weekends, if that matters.

Post subject: Jumps training
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:54 am 

What type of training are you currently doing now, and what did you feel was "off" during your first meet? This will help give some insight into a structured work.

Coach Ciolek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:51 pm 

I start out each practice jogging about a mile and then I do power jumps for the high jump and pop-ups for the long jump and triple jump. The day before a meet I usually don't do much jumping just some jogging. I've gained about 15 pounds since last year and it seems like my second phase of the triple jump is a lot harder for me. My legs don't feel like they can handle all the jumping this year. I was really tight at the meet, but it was very cold, about 40 degrees. I'm about 6 feet tall and weigh about 180 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:07 pm 

Here is some things to work on.

HJ: 90% of the jump comes from the J. you want to make this as smooth as possible. You should have a lateral lean throughout the turn this way you are resisting the bar, and the centrifical force of the approach will help you over the bar. Most jumpers do 10 contacts or 5 steps off their jumping foot. Off the 5 step on the 3rd step this is where the J point is. At this point your jump foot or inside foot should turn into the turn. You do not want to step out as is done by many jumpers, and you loose all the momentum that you gather at the top end of the approach
Bar form can be done by doing 3 step jumps off of a box or springboard. Here you should be practicing on not snapping from the waist and creating a smooth rotation over the bar. This is done by initiating the rotation with the inside hand and head. Once you feel that your hips are over the bar you want to tuck your chin and dorse flex your toes. (aka toes up.