Correcting a high jumpers approach and takeoff

Moderator: George Payan

coach_spoor

Correcting a high jumpers approach and takeoff

Post by coach_spoor »

I am a high jump coach at a high school in Texas. I currently have four jumpers who have gone 6-0 or better. One of my jumpers has become real inconsistent on his approach. He overstrides his curve, drags his non-jumping foot on take off and does not get rotated to the bar. He jumped 6-4 a year ago but has only cleared 6-0 once this year. I reworked his approach from 16'4" out from near standard and 50'10" perpendicular from the bar to 10'2" out from near standard and 49'4" perpendicular from bar. Am I doing the right things and what else can I do to improve his take off?
Adam Jumper

Heres a thought

Post by Adam Jumper »

With the approach you are having your kids doing, its toooooo wide. They are getting too much angular momentum, therefore they prolly are just hanging over the bar instead of clearing it with ease. I suggest moving their run thru any where from 10-14 feet across from the standard and any where from 50-80 ft for the full approach. I am a high jumper myself !@ a high school in NJ. My PR is 6'8" and have found this run through MUCH more sufficient. I promise you it will help.

Adam