Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Health Risks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:12 pm 

Dear Coaches:

I have a query over young juveniles doing 400 meters. I am told that heart problems can be caused in later life by juveniles doing 400 meter races and 400 meter repetitions. Can you confirm this and give the reasons why? I would really appreciate a reply as I would want to make sure that the children's future health is not put at risk.

Yours in sport,
Richard Alcorn

Post subject: Health Risks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:46 pm 

Richard:

I cannot confirm your statement that heart problems can be caused later in life by doing 400 meter races and 400 meter repetitions. I participated in these as a youth and so did my peers and we are going strong without health issues.

All youths involved in sports have a physical examination and must be cleared before participating. If a health issued existed they wouldn't be able to participate in sports.

The governing body of the United States, U.S.A. Track and Field, has a program for youths. They have local competition and national competition and promote youths to train and compete. They also have a coaches education program to help coaches coach athletes.

I would be more concerned about the lifestyle of athletes which is harmful to their health. For one, the diet in this country leaves a lot to be desired. Meals consist of convenient, fast foods. Parents and children are in such a hurry that meals are not the priority they should be.

Another factor is that people are not exercising after the youth years. This is what causes the heart problems and other conditions and diseases later in life. Every day we hear people complain about not feeling well and they do nothing about it.

The question is not what you did in your youth, it is what are you doing NOW? It's not what you did yesterday but what you do today for tomorrow.

Coach George Payan
www.coacheseducation.com