Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Motivating Athletes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:06 pm 

The tips below are responses to a survey of participants of the Nike Cross Country Clinic. Each comment is from a different cross country coach. It's a collection of comments from fellow coaches, sharing what they've learned about motivating athletes.

Motivating Athletes:

I have learned that the more you show them that you care about them, the more they wll buy into what you are selling them.

If you believe in them, they will always believe in you.

Motivate them by getting to know them by getting inside their head.

I've learned that motivation is a key when coaching runners. It is the foundation and driving force for many of our athletes. Without motivation, many runners would not perform to their potential.

If your runners trust and respect you, praise goes a long way and they are always working hard to please you.

The best way to motivate runners is to respect and generally care about your athletes.

You need to know your athletes very well because motivation of an athlete is as individual as the athlete.

Use visualization to prepare for a race.

Teach your runners how to believe by being an example.

Be a great mentor.

Be extremely positive with first year athletes and expect more as they get older. I'm usually less critical with girls than boys when they race poor. Girls tend to hold on to their bad races longer if you also jump on them. Save your big speeches for only a few times a year.

Staying positive always helps the cause!

It's so much easier to motivate them if they believe you know what you are doing.

Give the team a variety of workouts and areas and give them positive feedbacks.

Assist the runners with goals and build a family environment. They become more confident and that confidence helps them succeed in their running.

I've learned that athletes have to trust the coach, once that step is complete, everything falls into place.

With high school girls I've learned compensating with treats and such does not work. They seem to perform better when told individually how well they are doing. When in a small group positive comments seem to get better results. Making their heads too big bites you in the butt later on.

Take the opportunity to listen to speakers at clinics. It gives me the chance to use different types of motivation.

Explain the fact that running is both individual and team oriented. Running is easier when you have a solid team dynamic.

If you show your athletes you can do it or help them improve they will listen and will believe in what your trying to do with them.

You have to know each athlete to learn what motivates them.

Be a good role model.

Be positive and try to help them figure out life.

I've learned that if you shout at your athletes, you get no results, they will get mad and walk away. You can't blame them for walking away. Later you'll have to say I am sorry. Think first before words are spoken.