800 Meter Training

Moderator: George Payan

George Payan

800 Meter Training

Post by George Payan »

George:

Thanks for your advice and your suggested work-outs. I have incorporated a lot of your info into my work-outs. I have a question for you.

I have one 800 runner who seems to not be taking any time off of his race. I have two runners at 1:58 and one runner at 2:00. My fourth guy is at 2:15, and he is trying to get down to improve the overall relay time. The past few meets he seems to be posting the same 2:15. We have tried several race strategies and they all give the same result. He has become frustrated because his goal is to be around 2:05. Do you have any suggestions as to how we can get him out of this rut. The other athletes have improved at least 3 seconds. Thanks for your time.

Rick
rmarez2@charter.net
Last edited by George Payan on Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
George Payan

800 Meter Training

Post by George Payan »

Rick:

Instead of trying several race strategies, try the workout strategies.

I think he is working too hard. Have him run at 2:15 pace during his workouts. On his continuous runs, have him run behind everyone that has a faster time. He should do this throughout the entire workout. This same principle should apply when workouts are on the track. He shouldn't compete in the workouts with the faster runners. The adjustment will take a few weeks but his time should improve. As his time improves, adjust the workouts to his time.

Coach George Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com