Triple Jumper with Shin Splints

Moderator: George Payan

George Payan

Post by George Payan »

Coach,

What suggestions do you have for a triple jumper with shin splints? With four weeks left in the season he has the potential of going to the state meet. As of today he will have 12 days without competition. I know about ice massages, stretching, easy runs on the grass, and little to non technique jumping. Any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Coach Heinze
Manteca, California
NikeHei@aol.com
George Payan

Post by George Payan »

To: NikeHei@aol.com

Coach:

No doubt that the jump workouts have to be far apart. You have to work directly on strength in the weak area. Here is one exercise:

Have your athlete stand on a stair step on his/her heels with toes off the stairs.

Lower the feet as low as possible without slipping off plantar flexing the feet.

Raise the feet as high as possible (dorsiflex the feet).

Repeat 20-25 repetitions going through the entire range of motion of the ankle joint. After about 15 correct reps the athlete will start feeling that infamous "burn".

Repeat for 3 sets.

I call this exercise the "Toe Raises". I usually save this exercise at the end of the workout after the warm down and following the ice bath routine. After about a week your athlete may begin to feel a bit more stability in the ankle and shin compartment. This is a three day a week routine.

Erich Moreno
Sprint/Hurdle Coach
Orange Coast College