400m Training Question

Moderator: George Payan

Robbiebme

400m Training Question

Post by Robbiebme »

I am learning the theory behind training in track sprints. I have trouble getting a straight answer on what strength training consists of in the context of a track workout. Help with this topic would be appreciated :D
George Payan

400m Training Question

Post by George Payan »

Robbie:

Strength training is resistance training such as a speed harness, power chute, stride ladder, leg speed builder, sled, plyometrics, medicine balls, weight training, band & tubing training, dumbbell training and body weight training. To gain strength the "overload" principle should be applied.

Most coaches warm up, go through drills, work on technique, do a speed training workout with or without strength training and then warm down.

Strength training complements the overall training, enhances performance and improves strength.

If you need additional information let us know.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
Robbiebme

More questions:o)

Post by Robbiebme »

That makes a lot of sense. But if that's strength training, what are workouts that focus on over-distance (400<work) considered? (and what are their purpose?)

I have become well aquainted with the body's energy systems and was elated to find Mr. Veney's article on the subject, but I am still having trouble bridging the gap between theory and application.

What is a speed workout? What effects does it have on the body? What are the components that must be understood and addressed in-order to follow the concept of specificity for an individual athlete?

I want to avoid becoming a cookie-cutter coach that sticks an athlete (mainly myself) into a program instead of adapting the program to benifit the athlete. So please break things down as much as you like, I don't mind at all. :)
George Payan

Speed Workout

Post by George Payan »

The units of the anaerobic energy system:
Speed Endurance - 60-150 meters at 90-100%.
Special Endurance 1 - 150-300 meters at 90-100%.
Special Endurance 2 - 300-600 meters at 90-100%.
Rotate these workouts so that all units needed in a race will be utilized.

A speed workout is the capacity to move the body rapidly to work all the muscle fibers and to fire up the neurological system and the anaerobic energy system. In a speed workout, the intensity is between 90-100%. Do not train the body less than 90-100% in speed workouts. Athletes must train as they will compete. Working on repetitions will improve speed-endurance and will prevent slowing down during a race.

Factors to be addressed when training an athlete in sprinting are:

Technique - Drills to improve stride frequency and total body balance (arms and legs).

Speed - A combination of stride frequency and stride length.

Strength & Power - To apply as much force on the ground as possible through resistance training.

Flexibility - Work on the full range of motion.

Reaction time - This is technique work and done early in the workout.

Individualization - Consider the different levels of conditioning in athletes, talented athletes and genetic makeup of athletes. Increase repetitions and sets and intensity of workouts accordingly.

The ability to distribute one's speed and energies in the most efficient manner over the total racing distance becomes the primary concern.

Have a race plan. Break it into units:

Reaction - Reaction commences when the gun is fired and ends upon the first movement.

Drive Phase - Clearance from the starting blocks and several strides out of theblocks. The length of the drive phase will vary from 2-8 steps for most athletes.

Transition - Transition is still part of acceleration and occurs when the athlete comes out of drive phase and is working toward achieving a taller posture in preparation for maximum speed running.

Maximum Velocity - This is the segment of the race where the athlete will exhibit the highest running speed. This phase usually comes at about 4-6 seconds into the race is maintained from 10-30 meters for most athletes.

Maintenance - This segment is characterized by great relaxation and patience in order to maintain the athlete's top running speed for as long as possible. Too much effort expended in this phase will usually result in the athlete running tighter and slowing down sooner. There is some deceleration which will occur in this segment. The goal is to minimize this deceleration.

The purpose of speed workouts is to prevent the athlete from slowing down at the finish. It is so important to be in condition. Conditioning includes technique, strength training, and special endurance training.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
Last edited by George Payan on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbiebme

Post by Robbiebme »

I'm learning about periodization from Tudor Bompa's text. I've got a pretty good grasp on the first phase of a training year he refers to as the Anatomical Adaptation phase. I understand this to be the base building phase: cardiovascular, hypertrophy, basic overall conditioning. I understand the other phases as well (Max Strength, Power, maintenence) as concepts. But in actual application to track I am not seeing the whole picture.

Would special endurance be something I included in the max strength phase... (hold on... bolt of lighting just struck)

The book I'm referencing is "Periodization Training for Sports" but I just realized its main teaching goal is strength training. I think that might be part of my problem...(stay with me, and correct me if I'm wrong:o) I've been learning the concepts of periodization for strength training, and though it does have programs for various sports, what I'm looking for just isn't there (with regards to the sprints in track), and that's why I'm missing pieces of the picture.

So now my question is... how does periodization work for the sprints? (with regards to what happens on the track)
You covered 7 factors to address when training an athlete for sprints; what are the schools of thought in applying those training elements?
Lastly if you don't mind I would like to discuss each of the 7 factors in-depth to better understand the aspects of my sport.
Robbiebme

Post by Robbiebme »

Also, are there any text you can recommend that specifically address the training principles & aspects of sprinting?
George Payan

Periodization

Post by George Payan »

Periodization is the dividing of training into a series of cycles to achieve training effect. Strength periodization has different goals and objectives from the 400m program. If a sprinter is spending an entire year training, his periodization is different from a two-sport and a three-sport athlete.
This discussion is for the purpose of the athlete in track & field only (400m).

Divide the season into three periods:
Preparation period - includes off-season (summer and Fall, September through December).

Workouts in this period include strength, speed endurance, tempo endurance, special endurance and endurance running. Acceleration and speed work are also a part of this period but not as much time is spent with these. Rotate the workouts. It could take 2 to 3 weeks to fit in all the different types of workouts. The 2 to 3 week cycles can be repeated 2 or 3 times but the "overload" principle should be applied. This is where the coach should start applying the different training principles.

There are phases within the preparation period. One phase can last from 3 to 6 weeks. For example, there is a general preparation phase and a specific preparation phase. During the preparation period you are working first on quantity, and at the end of this period (24+ weeks) work towards quality.

At the end of this period you should be prepared for the next period, which is the competition period.

Competition period

The emphasis during this period is working towards quality and refining everything you have done in the preparation period. The tempo is now more intensified. Now you are running your event and you are learning the different strategies that come into play.

The bottom line is that you want to improve from the previous year and you want to peak in your last race. In order for you to improve and peak, you need goals and objectives with a developed periodization plan.

All training principles need to be applied when developing a training plan.
Periodization is one of those principles. You need to know the science of your event which includes the physiology, knowing what is going to happen from the very beginning to the finish of the race, including what you are feeling mentally in the start, middle and end of the race.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com
Mr. Chris

Continuing the plan...

Post by Mr. Chris »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the goal of speed training is to provide stimulus to the neuromuscular system in an effort to progressively overload it and illicit an adaptation response (or in simpler terms "cause it to operate faster") which should translate to "running faster."

Is the above correct and the emphasis of speed training is placed on the neuromuscular component? Or are you training energy systems as well?

So in a nutshell, what are the principles used to construct a speed workout? (With all other components such as coordination, agility, strength, ect. being optimal).
To define my question...(if you need to explain outside of the question feel free:o)
1) intensity
2) Duration
3) Frequency
4) Distance
5) Rest
How do these principles contribute to a speed workout? And are there other principles unique to speed that come into play?

Is speed anything like strength? For instance, some research has shown that gains in muscular strength during the first 8-10 weeks are due more to neuromuscular adaptations (more efficient recruitment patterns) than hypertrophy. Does speed have simular attributes/patterns or is it a creature unto itself? :lol:
George Payan

Speed Training

Post by George Payan »

Mr. Chris:

The purpose of speed training is speed development. There are only three ways to make yourself run faster: (1) increase stride frequency, (2) increase stride length, and (3) improve technique. You have to work on all three to improve your speed.

Focus on applying these three components. Remember, any training program can make you tired, but not every program can make you faster. A program can fail for many reasons: lack of commitment, lack of time and, most often, due to lack of coach's knowledge. A knowledge of the following qualities is essential to the development of a good sprinter:

Coordination
Work on drills at very high rates of movement.

Speed
Have workouts at high speeds.

Strength/Power
Work on strength training for strength of the primary muscles involved in sprinting.

Flexibility
Work on dynamic flexibility which will allow for easier movement through the range of motion.

Reaction Time
Work on starts.

The above qualities are the foundation of speed training and should be used in workouts. Anything other than these qualities are a waste of time. Training athletes should be individualized. Both the coach and the athlete should learn these qualities. Specialize on the event and focus on the event in workouts. When you understand these five qualities, select the methods you will use and stick to them. Once you select the methods, vary the workouts using these methods.

The athlete should workout with a clear mind, have a positive attitude and should be confident in his program. He should work on being the best that he can be during each workout. The athlete who can manage all aspects of his life will succeed.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com