Improving the Triple Jump

Moderator: George Payan

George Payan

Post by George Payan »

Coach:

I have started to learn the triple jump so that I can compete for the Iranian National team at the Asian games. Since it is a new field in Iran there is no coach there. I hope to practice in San Antonio to learn the right technique. Right now I triple jump a little more than 11 meters and my long jump personal mark is 5.70 meters. If I can triple jump 13 meters in Asia I can win a medal. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Shadi
pieceofme@hotmail.com
George Payan

Post by George Payan »

Shadi:

The triple jump is a very physically demanding event. You must be in good physical condition before the beginning of the regular training program.

Concentrate on volume of running and physical conditioning. Include weight training as a part of the physical conditioning three days a week and strength training three days a week.

Work on accelerations. There is a topic called "How To Improve Running Speed for the 40 Yards" in the Coaches Forum under Speed. The acceleration workout is part of the warm up and drills.

Include these speed workouts three days a week with hill repeats two days a week:
Speed Endurance, 60-150 meters at 80-100%
Special Endurance 1, 150-300 meters at 80-100%
Special Endurance 2, 300-600 meters at 80-100%
Rotate these workouts.

Strength training is resistance training such as a speed harness, power chute, stride ladder, leg speed builder, sled, plyometrics, medicine balls, band & tubing training and body weight training.

There are several options in which the triple jump technique is planned with other activities, such as:

Warm-up
Technique
Speed
Strength Training

This is an option when not working on technique:
Warm-up
Speed
Strength Training
Endurance

Warm-up
Technique
Strength Training
Endurance

Warm-up
Technique
Strength Training
Weight Training

A sample workout for one week follows:

Monday
Special Endurance 1 workout - 2x150, 2x200, 2x300
20 minute grass run
Weight training

Tuesday
Takeoff drills
Special Endurance 1 workout - 8-10x200
Strength training

Wednesday
Speed Endurance up to 4-6x60
Special Endurance 2 up to 6-8x300
Weight training

Thursday
Takeoff drills
Strength training
20 minute grass run

Friday
20 minute grass run
Weight training

Developing and strengthening muscles should precede the actual learning of the jumping technique. The most important drills are various kinds of jumping such as:

Short sprinting and acceleration work.

Repetitive jumps over cones, hurdles, etc., with varying numbers of steps between obstacles.

Various bounding exercises (triple jump, single leg hops, alternate leg bounds, etc.) from a standing start.

Various bounding exercises (single leg hops, alternate leg bounds, etc.) for extended distances.

Runway rehearsal.

Takeoffs and jumps from short approaches.

There are more jumping drills in this same Track & Field Forum, and under the Jumps section there is information in the triple jump articles that you can include in your workouts.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com