Training for 400m

Moderator: George Payan

tarik529

Training for 400m

Post by tarik529 »

Coach,

Thank you for answering my questions. I have another question about John Smith's program for the 400m. You told me I should apply the training sessions referring to my own last season's best times and that I must begin with low reps and low intensity. I have read that I could realize a major part of sessions; for example, 8x200 in 28 seconds after 500m in 55 seconds at the 400m, especially for the beginning of the program (January - February) and (March - April ). Should I apply the program as it seems by improving reps and intensity through the weeks or should I do less reps at lower intensity? I have 52 sec. in the 400m and 23 sec. in the 200m.

Thank you,
Tarik from Algeria. :lol:
George Payan

Training for the 400m

Post by George Payan »

Since it is early in the season, follow the program with less reps at lower intensity. Build your strength slowly and be patient. If you do too much too soon you will put yourself at risk of injury.

During this time you should also be incorporating plyometrics, strength training and flexibility in your workouts. In the general preparation phase work on general endurance such as cross country running, general strength which is weight training, flexibility with full range of motion and coordination which is to coordinate all the limb movements and force applications to optimize sprint potential.

Coach Payan
www.CoachesEducation.com